Centerforce clutch nightmare, ExtremeTerrain screening reviews and "banned" me - Page 2 - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Go Back  JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion > Jeep JK Wrangler > Modified JK Tech
Reload this Page >

Centerforce clutch nightmare, ExtremeTerrain screening reviews and "banned" me

Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Centerforce clutch nightmare, ExtremeTerrain screening reviews and "banned" me

 
Old 01-05-2019, 08:14 AM
  #11  
JK Newbie
 
HashSlingingSlasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Schlieko View Post
I feel your pain on Centerforce. Put one in my JK in 2014. Right out of the shop, it was giving me problems. Very hard to shift at times. I just got used to it since I did not want to drop the transmission again. At 40K miles, the clutch started to go. I happened to be close to Prescott, Arizona so I had the clutch replaced within a couple miles of Centerforce. They even sent a tech over to inspect the work as it was being done.

Left the shop. Second Centerforce clutch was worse than the first. Would get grinding, hard shifts, clanking. Called Centerforce. Went by their office. This is what really gets me. Centerforce disengaged hoping I would just go away. I wasn't angry. I just needed their help. I haven't seen this approach to customer service in a very, very long time. Usually, they are all over you -- for no other reason than they don't want you posting to a Jeep forum that their products suck!

Brought it back to Colorado and took it to a dealer (Boulder) that I really, really trust. They insisted I pull the clutch out. Called me twice. I did it. Stock clutch in and smooth as butter. I talked directly to the mechanic and he told me R&D was expensive on clutches and Centerforce had just not made the necessary investment. He said they would back me up if I wanted to call Centerforce and try to get a refund. Second Centerforce clutch was in Jeep for less than 2 months.

I totally understand that everything aftermarket may not work out. Part A can impact part B. Part of the joy/territory of owning a jeep. What really got me? Lack of Centerforce support. I have had 30 minute calls with vendors who did not sell me a thing, but gave me incredible advice.

Sorry a little off topic. But know someone will do a Centerforce search and see this thread. Wanted to pass along my story,
Exactly why im here. Found this through a search. Purchased my Center force from Amazon in September 2017. Worked ok for a couple months, installed all new hydraulics, even bought a brand new factory transmission (for syncro problems and the crappy shift fork design). Still have disengaging problems, worse when cold out. Literally have to kill the engine to get in reverse and pretty much first. Now i feel very confident its the clutch. On a budget right now, so I will purchase a factory clutch and not replace any other related parts, then will report my experience. Might be a few weeks before I install though.
Thank you all for posting

Last edited by HashSlingingSlasher; 01-05-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
HashSlingingSlasher is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 05:26 PM
  #12  
JK Newbie
 
kressley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Starting to feel a little comfort now...Sort of....
I put a Centerforce dual Friction in my JKU a few months ago. Broke it in just as the instructions said. I babied this thing for 500 miles to make sure I had no issues. It drove like a dream. Easy pedal not hard on your leg. I replaced a Spec 2+ that got ruined when my slave cylinder decided to take a crap on me. I had squealing all the time. I believe either the TOB was shot, or fluid on the clutch and enough was enough..

Then out of the blue I got a call from my wife who said she couldn't get it into first gear and was stuck down the street. Thought great, now what? Went down and sure enough couldn't get it into 1st so I turned it off, shifted to first started back up and brought it home.

Worked on this darn thing for weeks replacing the slave cylinder, master cylinder bleeding it for hours and nothing seemed to work. Bought the third slave cylinder direct from Jeep thinking it was the chain box stores bad product. Actually helped a little, but still is hard shifting first and reverse. Then came the jumping out of 1st gear.
I was convinced the tranny was going out on me. Decided to put a B&M shifter on it after hearing the shifters in the JK's may wear out too. Has not jumped out of first gear for weeks since I put the B&M in it, not once!.

Now after hearing your stories, I may have changed my mind about spending the cash for another tranny, and maybe go with another clutch setup instead.

These things are no fun pulling out and putting back in, I'm just lost about what will actually fix the hard 1st and reverse situation. New Tranny or clutch.
I don't think I'll go back to Centerforce.

Jason
kressley is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 05:00 AM
  #13  
JK Junkie
 
karls10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 3,419
Thanked 62 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kressley View Post
Starting to feel a little comfort now...Sort of....
I put a Centerforce dual Friction in my JKU a few months ago. Broke it in just as the instructions said. I babied this thing for 500 miles to make sure I had no issues. It drove like a dream. Easy pedal not hard on your leg. I replaced a Spec 2+ that got ruined when my slave cylinder decided to take a crap on me. I had squealing all the time. I believe either the TOB was shot, or fluid on the clutch and enough was enough..

Jason
Jason,

Any particular reason you didn't go back to a Spec 2+? I have a Spec 1+ and it works well with the exception of slipping. It does not like being slipped at all like the factory would be ok with. I'm always looking for new info/ input from other owners because I know I'll end up doing another clutch. CF is out but I'm not sure if I'd do another Spec or go with factory. My TOB with them didn't last long either.
karls10jk is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 06:48 AM
  #14  
JK Newbie
 
HashSlingingSlasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have installed clutches from Audiís to Peterbuilt and never had a problem. I will be going to an OEM style soon for sure. And will post the results. So i wont get too negative on Centerforce yet. Since the install of a Centerforce clutch, Iíve had issues though. Tried all new hydraulics, factory new transmission (junk by the way), bleeding the hydraulics many times. Im pretty confident replacing the clutch will end my frustration. My JKU is a 2007 Rubicon Ripp supercharged with 105,000 miles. Today i will be replacing lower intake and valve cover gaskets. All this to just milk it until I can afford a self installed Hemi swap. Hopefully next weekend i can install the clutch, i will most likely use a ďLUKĒ from EBay, I believe they are the same as OEM from the research Iíve done. Hope you all have good luck with your repairs and please report your results. I will do the same.
HashSlingingSlasher is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 07:43 AM
  #15  
JK Newbie
 
kressley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by karls10jk View Post
Jason,

Any particular reason you didn't go back to a Spec 2+? I have a Spec 1+ and it works well with the exception of slipping. It does not like being slipped at all like the factory would be ok with. I'm always looking for new info/ input from other owners because I know I'll end up doing another clutch. CF is out but I'm not sure if I'd do another Spec or go with factory. My TOB with them didn't last long either.
A few reasons really.
1) Spec customer service. When I called them about the squealing from the clutch they pretty much blew me off saying they've never heard of the issue described before. But again after I searched using keywords of the issue I was having, it seemed it WAS a known issue.
That gave me a bad taste about Spec, but at this point I would consider the Spec+2 again. I really liked it aside from the problem I had that forced me to pull it. And to be honest I can't definitely say the problem with my Spec was TOB or/if there was brake fluid on the clutch surface. I was just mad I was pulling it out within 3 years of putting it in.
2) I was not confident is a luk or factory holding up to 35's and heavy bumpers. My wife slips the clutch a lot, and felt the aftermarket solution would hold up better.
3) Initial reviews I read about Centerforce being good
4) Price between Spec & Centerforce.

Really this is the way I found this post. Searched keywords about the issue I was having, and it's the first time I found others having the exact same issues.

I might even go with a luk this time. I replaced the flywheel with a factory when I installed the Centerforce and all the hydraulics have been replaced since the Centerforce issues.
Only thing I can do at this point is tear it apart again. But I want to have the replacement clutch in hand before I do.

Now that I know others have had the same issue, I'm going to call Centerforce tomorrow to see what they have to say.

I really don't know what clutch I will go with next yet, but forking over $$$ again and again may get me to go with LUK this time.
kressley is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 08:00 AM
  #16  
JK Newbie
 
kressley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HashSlingingSlasher View Post
I have installed clutches from Audiís to Peterbuilt and never had a problem. I will be going to an OEM style soon for sure. And will post the results. So i wont get too negative on Centerforce yet. Since the install of a Centerforce clutch, Iíve had issues though. Tried all new hydraulics, factory new transmission (junk by the way), bleeding the hydraulics many times. Im pretty confident replacing the clutch will end my frustration. My JKU is a 2007 Rubicon Ripp supercharged with 105,000 miles. Today i will be replacing lower intake and valve cover gaskets. All this to just milk it until I can afford a self installed Hemi swap. Hopefully next weekend i can install the clutch, i will most likely use a ďLUKĒ from EBay, I believe they are the same as OEM from the research Iíve done. Hope you all have good luck with your repairs and please report your results. I will do the same.

Definitely report back next week. I'll be watching. Seems we both have done all the same things around this Centerforce clutch and still getting the same results. Mine's a 2008 with only about 65k and looks like I'll be on my 4th clutch soon.
Only reason I changed out my original factory was because I installed a rebuilt tranny to solve the popping out of first gear, oh and the clutch sounded like a tambourine too. But it worked.

To anyone that has the popping out of first gear, I recommend considering the B&M shifter before replacing the clutch and tranny. So far this has solved my popping out issue.

Jason


kressley is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:16 AM
  #17  
JK Newbie
 
kressley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Spoke with Centerforce this morning explaining my issue with 1st and Reverse.
He said the issues I and some of you described did not sound like a Clutch issue. He asked if I had trouble in any other gears and I said no, so he pointed to that as a factor that eliminates it being a clutch issue. But I pointed out I can shift into other gears driving without using a clutch if I had to. (not that I do) and he said true.

He then pointed to the shifter could cause the issue, and I pointed out I have a new B&M shifter and was having the same issue with the stock shifter as I am now with the B&M.
He then pointed to the pilot bearing possibly being an issue. I said it was a new pilot bearing factory installed in the new flywheel from Jeep. He said it could have been damaged at install. I guess?

All the things he said sound 'reasonable', but I just can't point my finger to why after 5 months of shifting perfectly it would all of a sudden be hard shifting into first and reverse. The clutch install is the only X factor in this equation.
He didn't have an answer for it.

I'm reluctant to buy a new clutch if it's a transmission issue. I'm reluctant to source a used/rebuilt transmission if its a clutch issue.

One thing I thought about last night....I still have the Spec+2 sitting in the garage. I didn't throw it out.
What if I put that back in??? Any thoughts? Worst I would loose in this scenario is time pulling the trans 2 more times. At least I would see the condition of the Centerforce, the pilot bearing, flywheel, TOB etc and could rule out the Clutch as the issue if the problem persists with the Spec....

kressley is offline  
Old 02-20-2019, 08:36 PM
  #18  
JK Newbie
 
harley97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I bought a Centerforce Clutch from Amazon in February 2018, installed it in March and it started making noise and hard to get into 1st and reverse within a month. I contacted Centerforce and they offered to fix it if I brought the Jeep to them. I drove it out there last week and they replaced the clutch and found the problem. Their clutch was good, TOB was good, hydraulics were good. The problem was the shift fork and the ball the shift fork sits on. Both were worn, which allowed the TOB rattle and make noise. It was very obvious what the issue was when it was all apart. They replaced everything at no cost to me. Great customer service and standing behind their product. They even bought the new shift fork, ball, and sleeve for the shaft that the TOB sits on. If you are having clutch issues after replacement, I would suggest replacing the shift fork and ball, they dont look very worn, but made a huge difference. My clutch works great now. Already have put over 500 miles on it and its smooth and quiet.
harley97 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to harley97 For This Useful Post:
kevinlee (02-24-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 12:45 AM
  #19  
JK Newbie
 
kressley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

But you said they replaced the clutch too...

I went as far as changing the trans last weekend. Changed all those internals too thinking the same thing, pivot ball and fork worn out. Guess what... Different trans and internals and I have the SAME issue. What a waste of time and money. I should have just pulled the garbage CF clutch when I was in there, now I have to pull it all apart again AND I will be throwing that clutch in the trash.

My guess they put a new functioning clutch in yours and threw your old one in the trash. Hope it lasts longer for you.
I bought mine from Amazon too, did you tell them that?
It's my daily driver so I can't pull the clutch, send it to them and wait.

Do you know if they extended the pivot ball per the jeep TSB?




Originally Posted by harley97 View Post
I bought a Centerforce Clutch from Amazon in February 2018, installed it in March and it started making noise and hard to get into 1st and reverse within a month. I contacted Centerforce and they offered to fix it if I brought the Jeep to them. I drove it out there last week and they replaced the clutch and found the problem. Their clutch was good, TOB was good, hydraulics were good. The problem was the shift fork and the ball the shift fork sits on. Both were worn, which allowed the TOB rattle and make noise. It was very obvious what the issue was when it was all apart. They replaced everything at no cost to me. Great customer service and standing behind their product. They even bought the new shift fork, ball, and sleeve for the shaft that the TOB sits on. If you are having clutch issues after replacement, I would suggest replacing the shift fork and ball, they dont look very worn, but made a huge difference. My clutch works great now. Already have put over 500 miles on it and its smooth and quiet.
kressley is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 12:54 PM
  #20  
JK Freak
 
MrChuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 624
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the heads up!
MrChuckles is offline  

Quick Reply: Centerforce clutch nightmare, ExtremeTerrain screening reviews and "banned" me


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: