Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerforce Pilot Bearing Failure

Old 01-21-2019, 12:37 PM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Centerforce Pilot Bearing Failure

After 2-3 thousand miles, the pilot bearing in the Centerforce flywheel disintegrated. The bearing is about 1/8 inch thick. Here is a video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1edx...ew?usp=sharing

I now need to replace a leaking seal on the clutch shaft and a leaking seal on the transfer case as well.
The following users liked this post:
Omar J. Torres (08-04-2020)
Old 01-21-2019, 10:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After my stock throw out bearing exploded, I replaced mine also with the dual friction clutch. I was wondering if you had noticed chatter when your clutch is released. I've had chatter in mine ever since I had it installed. Only while the clutch is released. I can hear it stop chattering while engaging the clutch. After watching your video I suspect my chatter may be related to what your talking about with the scratched up flywheel. My flywheel is stock.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Centerforce has gone completely downhill. I've lost track of the amount of complaints I've personally heard, and read about. When my clutch goes out, I'll be replacing it with another OEM; this thing has taken a beating and is still going strong. Replacing the clutch is tedious, albeit not difficult. It's definitely not something you'll wanna do twice in 2 months...like a good buddy of mine had to do.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Centerforce has gone completely downhill. I've lost track of the amount of complaints I've personally heard, and read about. When my clutch goes out, I'll be replacing it with another OEM; this thing has taken a beating and is still going strong. Replacing the clutch is tedious, albeit not difficult. It's definitely not something you'll wanna do twice in 2 months...like a good buddy of mine had to do.
yeah man my stock clutch is still going good. Pushing 131k miles. If and when I replace it I’m just getting an oem. Not looking forward to that job at all
Old 02-20-2019, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Centerforce just replaced my clutch and they have upgraded that bearing. The original design was a roll pin style, it is now a sealed ball bearing and is beefier than the old one.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:20 PM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

I had that chatter with the old centerforce as well. I now replaced both bearings and with 1000 miles the noises are back. Worse, the dual friction can be felt well, there is no smooth release, the DUAL friction releases as if the engine is stalling, in spurts.

Outside of dropping the gearbox 3 times in 15000 miles, this is the worst clutch in terms of noises and smoothness, and it does not last longer than OEM...

Really no need to fall for Centerforce marketing. OEM is much much better quality, smoother and lasts longer.

Originally Posted by Francis1989
After my stock throw out bearing exploded, I replaced mine also with the dual friction clutch. I was wondering if you had noticed chatter when your clutch is released. I've had chatter in mine ever since I had it installed. Only while the clutch is released. I can hear it stop chattering while engaging the clutch. After watching your video I suspect my chatter may be related to what your talking about with the scratched up flywheel. My flywheel is stock.

Last edited by lyd; 02-20-2019 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Sp

Quick Reply: Centerforce Pilot Bearing Failure