Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing to adjustable lower front control arms

Old 10-02-2017, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing to adjustable lower front control arms

I bent my driver’s side lower control arm, and for the dealer to replace that one arm and do an alignment they want $350. I found some adjustable high clearance Rock Krawlers for $250. I’m a fair mechanic, especially on motorcycles, so how hard are these to replace? When I take the stock off are springs and bolts and tiny little important things going to fly across my shop, or is it just a quick swap with the Jeep just sitting there without jacking it up or something? Will I need an alignment?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Here is a link to a DIY Alignment writeup, it can be found up in the Writeups area with all the others in the Index. It shows one way to check the caster, but throwing it on an alignment rack will obviosly give better numbers. Do you need to pay? Read it and see what you think.

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment ? Project-JK.com

Replacing the arms is easy, just a bolt on each end. If you are ok with the current caster, match the length to your current lowers and bolt them up. If you want to raise caster, make them longer than stock. Lower caster, shorter than stock.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:55 PM
JK Junkie

Easy to replace, can be a pain to tighten jam nut. I would get a set of Teraflex Alpine arms and call it good. Set to around 23"
Replace one at a time chucking the tire each side working on to keep the axle from rolling forward
To get the holes to line up have a helper roll the tire/axle forward/back.
Tighten bolts to 125 when done.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

The MC and TF Alpine arms are nice.

Here's a good video on installing front lower control arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1domPqeeE&t=111s
Old 10-03-2017, 04:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Even though you are just replacing the lowers, you will likely at some point complete the set.....making the control arms themselves a big investment. The biggest difference from adjustable CA to adjustable CA is going to be the joints, followed by the bends in the arm itself. I know the discounted price of RK is attractive, but I would urge you to at least compare some different arms and do a little research before you just willy nilly throw something on (which by the way is not difficult). You'll find RK bashers, and RK homeboyz saying bad/good things about RK. I'm really neither. I have a few RK products on my jeep, but when it comes to control arm joints, I'd much prefer a DDM type bushing like what Metalcloak and Synergy are using. At the end of the day, out of all the suspension components, I wouldn't skimp on control arms myself. In the short time you've had the jeep you are proving to get out and use it. Replace these CA's with something you will be happy with for a long time. Just my 2c. Yes, might take longer to get them shipped. Yes, might cost a little more. Yes, you'll likely be happier years down the road.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Second Resharp001, I would go with the synergy or the Metal cloak arms. Quality without the joint issues and a more comfortable quiet ride. You could also check craigslist for some take off arms to replace the bent one.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Smile

Hi guys, thanks for the opinions and the video. I liked the RK’s because they have a bend in them to give you more clearance. My friend recommended the TF Alpines, but they are not high clearance. Both are about the same price. Both I think would be an improvement over stock. I’ll post pics below. By the way, I called the dealer and they want $425 to install and align. Forget that, I’ll definitely do it myself especially after you guys’ giving me info.

RK
Click image for larger version

Name:	37217198310_25a84da0f2_o_d.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	675240

TF
Click image for larger version

Name:	37217333370_4ecbb1853e_z_d.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	675241
Old 10-03-2017, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I did a lifetime alignment at Firestone for $140 I think several years back. It's more than paid for itself already. An alignment shop won't dial in those control arms for you (without charging you more for it), but you should be able to get them set close.....go get a computer reading, and tweak the lengths if necessary.

I've said my piece on control arms already. I just wouldn't get sucked in to thinking that "high clearance" bit is going to make a difference. Realize how beefing these after market arms are compared to the factory. If you saw the wheelin' I do, and you saw the few scrathes on my lower MC arms.....you'd think they were like a tiny papercut on your finger.

Take note that you have to drop the RK arms to adjust them. Teraflex and Synergy can adjust while installed. MC you have to drop to adjust, but can at least torque them down on the jeep. The RK's you have to fiddle with and torque on your workbench. Not the end of the world, but just realize that up front.

edit - sorry, TF not adjustable while installed like said....but easy to adjust and retorqu via pinch collar (rather than jam nut)

Last edited by resharp001; 10-03-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went ahead and ordered the TF Alpines. Through northridge they were actually cheaper then the RK’s at 4wd.com. And it was gonna take 2 weeks to get the RK’s. Dang, another $400 trip, this is an expensive hobby.

Another dumb question. I know stock about the only thing you can adjust is the toe, and I know you can adjust the pinion angle with the adjustable (which I don’t need), but what other parameters will I be able to adjust?
Old 10-03-2017, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MikeOK
I went ahead and ordered the TF Alpines. Through northridge they were actually cheaper then the RK’s at 4wd.com. And it was gonna take 2 weeks to get the RK’s. Dang, another $400 trip, this is an expensive hobby.

Another dumb question. I know stock about the only thing you can adjust is the toe, and I know you can adjust the pinion angle with the adjustable (which I don’t need), but what other parameters will I be able to adjust?
bout it. an alignment shop is only going to set toe and straighten the steering wheel, you will get the printout showing what your caster is, and you can adjust your control arms accordingly to get that were you want it. With both upper and lower arms, you'd be able to place your axle where you wanted it as well as adjust the pinion angle/caster. With just lower arms you're kinda cheating the system a bit, but it still works.....pushing the axle a little forward as a means to lower the pinion/raise the caster.

In regards to the expensive hobby.....it is indeed. It's a steep learning curve as you are seeing. Although you get a nice "trail rated" badge on the jeep from the dealer.....well, we all have different ideas of what a "trail" is....LOL. I see what you're general interest appear to be in regards to wheelin'.....and factory components aren't going to hold up. If you continue down this path....you'll likely feel like there is a lot to upgrade for a year or so....lol.

Last edited by resharp001; 10-03-2017 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing to adjustable lower front control arms