Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing a 3.5" lift AEV or Metalcloak?

Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

ya sorry to the original poster, but ya iv heard stuff about the zinc coating also but i am extreme salt lol. i live near the bay on a salt water lake.i wash my jeep once a week and after everytime im on the beach and i am still rusting so ya. just looking for somthing that can hold up until i get a chance to leave this city. i have friends that run the metal cloak and they love it.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I don't know the actual lift gains on aev coils, but just as a heads-up if you choose MC: their 3.5" coils gave plenty of height for my 37" stt pro's, even with uncut stock fenders before I chopped them. I've lost track of overall lift height on my '08 through the various coil/spacer progressions, but over 4.5" would be a decent guess. Which means a flip becomes more important, and you should budget for a front driveshaft replacement. Not trying to talk you out of taller coils, just that if you choose MC, the 2.5" might be the better choice for a wifely driven JK on 35's.
Originally Posted by snakeyes76
We'll be going 35s for sure. I already have a flashcal so the tuner would end up on the web for sale. I've had the 5100s on my previous 2dr and i thought they were incredible in comparison to the stock shocks and the crappy rough country shocks i had from my previous lift on my 4dr. The AEV bilsteins are tuned for that specific lift so I'm thinking they'll be even better. I know my wife, she won't do any hardcore offroading. It will most likely be a pavement princess until I decide to take it off road, but I won't be able to do the same trails I used to or she'll kill me. I'm leaning towards the AEV for her. I fit was my Jeep, I'd probably do a frankenlift and get the AEV springs, MC arms, synergy track bars, and probably go with fox shocks. I've been told the zinc coating on the MC arms won't last up here due to the amount of salt they use on the roads in the winter. Decisions decisions
I agree with nth, I have the 2.5" MC Gamechanger with 37" stt pros and psc flares and still have plenty of room. If you're going with stock fenders and 35s I would personally stick to the 2.5". I also came from a POS rough country 2.5" lift that rode like hell and this MC lift rides better and handles better than my Jeep ever did when it was bone stock. The customer service at MC is amazing too and they really know their way around a Jeep. Heard good things about AEV but have no experiences with them, take it as you will but in my opinion you can't go wrong with anything MC is putting out.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you to all for your input. i'm really at an impass right now. i told the wife that 2.5" is the way to go for her use but she loves the lifted jeep look .. she clearly doesn't understand everything involved in surpassing that height.
i'll show her this thread and let her decide. that way i don't get blamed lol
i personally love the bilsteins. i like a firmer ride. i had them on my 2dr and had no complaints at all and that was with crappy 3 year old rough country springs.
the only experience i have with JKS is their front trackbar which i liked, then again, i didn't have it for too long as i sold the jeep 6 months or so after that.
we already changed the front bumper to the AEV and will eventually get the rear to match, terraflex reinforcement tire support/carrier, a winch, tranny/oil pan skid and diff guards so we will be adding a bit of weight but not a whole lot.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the 2.5" coils it looks pretty tall, the 37s make it look a little shorter and mine came in at right about 2.75". I also have a very heavy Jeep with steel bumpers, fenders, rocker guards, and skids so with a lighter two door like you are describing I bet the actual height you net would be a little over three. Good luck with the wife! At least she's into this hobby like you are.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeyes76
i'll show her this thread and let her decide. that way i don't get blamed lol
Good call. Even with all the advice, it's always good to remember that it's your (her) Jeep and your (her) money. Build it the way you want, just do the research into the possible issues so you have an idea of what you'll do if/when each one comes up.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

FINAL DECISION - we decided on the Metalcloak 3.5" Overland Rocksport edition and added the MC front adj trackbar and exaust spacer.
I'm going to install that and see how it handles, then decide if we need to add control arms. Will probably do JKS J flex arms since they use OEM style bushings so no maintenance required and they are powder coated instead of zinc plated. Finally, whatever zinc plated hardware in the MC kit, I will add a couple of layers of paint (maybe just a clear) specifically on the control arm drop brackets. I think she'll be happy with this. Found an authorized MC distributor with excellent pricing a couple hours away from me so I'll just take a drive and pick everything up once received. He says 3-4 weeks. CAN'T WAIT!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You should not need front control arms with drop brackets. The brackets do more to help the ride than adjustable control arms do so you would be degrading the ride moving from the brackets to adjustable arms. You might want to consider a set of rear arms to gain back some of the lost wheel base you get by lifting and using the factory arms that will push the rear axle forward. You should think hard about a drag link flip as you will be over 4" in actual lift which lends itself to wander and bump steer due to the steep angles of the front track bar. Powder coating does not = rust proof, You will still see rust and powder coating tends to flake more then paint when the rust gets under the coating.

Good luck with the jeep.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You should not need front control arms with drop brackets. The brackets do more to help the ride than adjustable control arms do so you would be degrading the ride moving from the brackets to adjustable arms. You might want to consider a set of rear arms to gain back some of the lost wheel base you get by lifting and using the factory arms that will push the rear axle forward. You should think hard about a drag link flip as you will be over 4" in actual lift which lends itself to wander and bump steer due to the steep angles of the front track bar. Powder coating does not = rust proof, You will still see rust and powder coating tends to flake more then paint when the rust gets under the coating.

Good luck with the jeep.
would this work? i don't want to drill anything just yet if i can avoid it - STEER SMARTS YETI HD NO DRILL TOP MOUNT OUTER DRAGLINK END
as for the rear arms, just upper or lower as well?
Old 03-10-2019, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Nice. Let us know what you think of the ride/handling. Which trackbar bracket are you adding along with the yeti end?

Don't forget to keep an eye on that front driveshaft joint at the tcase, the grease is very noticeable if/when it starts spitting out.

One set of arms will rotate the top or bottom of the housing. To move the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well you need both sets. But install it and see what you think about the clearances and handling before another purchase.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-10-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Nice. Let us know what you think of the ride/handling. Which trackbar bracket are you adding along with the yeti end?

Don't forget to keep an eye on that front driveshaft joint at the tcase, the grease is very noticeable if/when it starts spitting out.

One set of arms will rotate the top or bottom of the housing. To move the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well you need both sets. But install it and see what you think about the clearances and handling before another purchase.
i was under the impression I don't need a bracket. it's reversed so it installs on the knuckle from the top instead of the bottom changing the angle.
I'll try it without arms and take it from there.
Driveshafts will eventually have to be changed, but that's the cost of lifting so high i suppose

Quick Reply: choosing a 3.5" lift AEV or Metalcloak?