Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

choosing a 3.5" lift AEV or Metalcloak?

Old 03-10-2019, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

When you raise the drag link you also have to raise the track bar bracket on the axle to keep them as parallel as you can. You get some pretty bad bump steer if you don't.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Just noticed that quadratec has a tech article section, this may help a bit. Ignore the first pic, it's for a TJ.

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowl...article-68.htm
Old 03-10-2019, 02:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Drilling a knuckle is not that big a deal and you can easily go back to stock with a $9 tapered bushing.
https://www.summitracing.com/nv/part...0175/overview/
Old 03-10-2019, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Just noticed that quadratec has a tech article section, this may help a bit. Ignore the first pic, it's for a TJ.

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowl...article-68.htm
ya, that refreshes my memory. i now remember doing a trackbar bracket on my last jeep.
i guess I'll just add the Drag Link Flip Bracket from MC to go along with their adj trackbar .. it also repositions the steering stabilizer if i'm not mistaken.
i also think i'll need the steering stabilizer tie rod mount and while i'm at it might as well order a rocksport steering stabilizer to match the rest.
this is adding up fast
Old 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The stock stabilizer actually gets favorable reviews. Assuming it is in good shape, you could just relocate it with the bracket until there is a reason to replace.

Driveshafts will eventually have to be changed, but that's the cost of lifting so high i suppose
Keep on top of that 'eventually' as part of normal maintenance. The rear driveshaft will likely be ok, but as mentioned, that particular joint on the front shaft is known to be a problem, so you need know 'when' to do something about it. Much better to replace the joint (teraflex high angle rzeppa is popular) or the shaft (thinner aftermarket replacement) while grease is still slinging out, rather than waiting for it to make noise and seize. Could be a few thousand miles, could be 50k or more, just another of those variables to keep on top of with a quick look every now and then.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by snakeyes76
this is adding up fast
yup, this is exactly how it happens. I think you'll be pleased with your purchase. Also agree with nthinuf.....that factory SS is fine. People put way too much emphasis on the SS.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
that factory SS is fine. People put way too much emphasis on the SS.
Agreed, I got the rocksport SS to replace the stock SS solely because when I was buying my draglink and tie rod it was the same price to get all 3 together than to get the tie rod and drag link seperately. Plus my stock SS had 140k miles on it and it was getting a little tired
Old 03-11-2019, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The stock stabilizer actually gets favorable reviews. Assuming it is in good shape, you could just relocate it with the bracket until there is a reason to replace.

Keep on top of that 'eventually' as part of normal maintenance. The rear driveshaft will likely be ok, but as mentioned, that particular joint on the front shaft is known to be a problem, so you need know 'when' to do something about it. Much better to replace the joint (teraflex high angle rzeppa is popular) or the shaft (thinner aftermarket replacement) while grease is still slinging out, rather than waiting for it to make noise and seize. Could be a few thousand miles, could be 50k or more, just another of those variables to keep on top of with a quick look every now and then.
And just to give you another experience with the driveshafts, my front was making contact with my exhaust crossover with only a 2.5” MC lift, even with exhaust spacers...

Quick Reply: choosing a 3.5" lift AEV or Metalcloak?