Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Closed/Open Caps??

Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closed/Open Caps??

Alright! Newbie here, to the forum and Jeeps in general. I got my Jeep, blue steel 2dr sahara, just before Thanksgiving and have been loving every minute of it. I have been reading this forum for over a month now, and I have to say I am most impressed! I previously owned a Nissan Sentra (big switch I know), and I could not be happier with my change.
On to my question. I am looking to upgrade the tires, wheels, and suspension. I have chosen the wheels, Pro Comp Series 97 16X8 5X5 BSM 4.25, the tires, BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO LT315/75R16, and the suspension, 3" FT lift. None have been purchased yet, and I had a question about the caps. Do I want the open or closed caps and why? I guessing that has something to do with whether I have locking front hubs or not, but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appriciated, cuz I don't want to buy the wrong ones, but I would also like to know why I need which ever ones so that I understand their purpose.

I would also like anyones opinion on the quality of the three items I mentioned above. From everything I have read, I have seen nothing but praise, but I haven't seen much on the Pro Comp wheels. Please advise!

Also, I have been reading up on folks having the same problem I have had with the radio going out when putting up the windows. Mine has also perminatnly turned on the passenger air bag and won't turn off when there is no one there. I took it to the dealer today, so I will let everyone know how it goes when I find out.

Sorry for the long winded questions and discriptions, but you can never learn enough, and I am always trying to find and figure out more and get any help that I can about my Jeep.

Thanks to all who keep up the forum and for all the contributers and members that keep this wonderful library full of knowledge!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

You are correct. You only need open caps if you have locking hubs. Which you do not have. You want the closed caps to keep mud and gunk out.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks chris269. So, what is a locking hub for and why do you need it?

Also, I am pretty certain, but second opinions are always great. When purchasing new wheels, I am going to have to get new lug nuts for them as weel right? I can't use the ones from the stock wheels, is that correct?:confused:
Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Some vehicles (usually trucks) have manual locking hubs. The rubicon has locking differentials but not locking hubs. It's just a different way (allthough i'm really not sure which is better) to lock up your axels. As for your wheels sometimes your lugnuts will work but they usually don't. when you buy your wheels ask them what you need.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Locking Hubs

Actually, locking hubs do not lock your axle.

Locking hubs and locking differentials serve two different purposes.

locking differentials make sure that power is being provided to both wheels on that axle, for more traction.

locking hubs however, were a way to isolate the wheel from the axle. So when you were in 2 wheel drive, and did not need to provide power to your front wheels, you could "open" your front hubs so that they were no longer connected to your axle. Thus the front axle and driveshaft would not turn (provided your transfer case was also in 2 WD).

The purpose of this was to save wear and tear on your front tires and drivetrain. It also meant there was less drag in the drivetrain, so presumably better fuel economy.

My '81 Grand Wagoneer and '97 Bronco both had manual front hubs.

There were also automatic locking front hubs, that were supposed to lock when the transfer case was put in 4WD. But i think most of those systems actually consisted of permanently locked hubs, but with an axle that would disconnect, so there was still some portion of the axle that was turning all the time.

I can't recall what the Wrangler YJ came with, but since the Wrangler TJ days, the Jeep has been equipped with permanantly locked hubs. Which means that your front axle and driveshaft are constantly spinning while the vehicle is in motion.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

^ya beat me to the punch!

The actual savings you get in fuel economy is actually extreamly slim with locked hubs vs. unlocked hubs
Old 01-10-2007, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RobRussell
Actually, locking hubs do not lock your axle.

Locking hubs and locking differentials serve two different purposes.

locking differentials make sure that power is being provided to both wheels on that axle, for more traction.

locking hubs however, were a way to isolate the wheel from the axle. So when you were in 2 wheel drive, and did not need to provide power to your front wheels, you could "open" your front hubs so that they were no longer connected to your axle. Thus the front axle and driveshaft would not turn (provided your transfer case was also in 2 WD).

The purpose of this was to save wear and tear on your front tires and drivetrain. It also meant there was less drag in the drivetrain, so presumably better fuel economy.

My '81 Grand Wagoneer and '97 Bronco both had manual front hubs.

There were also automatic locking front hubs, that were supposed to lock when the transfer case was put in 4WD. But i think most of those systems actually consisted of permanently locked hubs, but with an axle that would disconnect, so there was still some portion of the axle that was turning all the time.

I can't recall what the Wrangler YJ came with, but since the Wrangler TJ days, the Jeep has been equipped with permanantly locked hubs. Which means that your front axle and driveshaft are constantly spinning while the vehicle is in motion.
Then how come if my hubs are unlocked i can still use my 4 wheel drive and it still turns my front tires.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

It's not that you hubs are unlocked... they are actually always locked and therefore tied to the axle. That is why your front axle spins in 2wd.

I am curious about the preference of 'no-caps'... do you not worry about the extra level of protection? Just curious.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjeremy74
It's not that you hubs are unlocked... they are actually always locked and therefore tied to the axle. That is why your front axle spins in 2wd.

I am curious about the preference of 'no-caps'... do you not worry about the extra level of protection? Just curious.
So whats the point of manual hubs if they are always locked.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris269
So whats the point of manual hubs if they are always locked.
Manual hubs can unlock the wheel from the drive axles in the front axle. The advantages of this are that it does not spin your drive axles, or drive shaft. If you ever blow a u-joint and can not repair it on the trail, then by unlocking your hubs you can get off the trail without causing further damage. It also gives you a slight increase in fuel economy, by causing less parts to spin.

Quick Reply: Closed/Open Caps??