Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clusterf*cked After Blowing Out Rear

Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clusterf*cked After Blowing Out Rear

So I'm just trying to get some thoughts or suggestions or guesses before I start tearing things down and see what all happened. Trying to get a good starting point of what to check first.

Yesterday, I was out at Hidden Falls in Marble Falls, Texas. After a full day of wheeling and walking up basically every trail out there we decided to run one of the last level 5's out there that we hadn't hit yet. Made it 4/5th up the last climb and hit a trouble spot. Tried to maneuver up and ended up blowing out the rear end. No power to rear wheels.

Put it in 4wd and limped back to front of park. Aired back up and decided to limp it down the road to autozone to maybe drop the rear driveshaft and limo back home on front wheel drive.

On the way, we only went about 30-40mph max. Heard some ugly noises a few times coming from rear end but ignored them figuring it was already past saving. I have a 14 bolt I'm building to put in the rear anyway, almost finished. So it was just a matter of getting it back home.

Well, on the way we were going along and a horrendous noise came from underneath jeep from toward the front end and the jeep felt like it locked up and we pulled off the road into the ditch. Had no power to front wheels at this point. When I shifted t case it was making some noise and the driveshafts would rotate just a bit and stop. Like something was jamming them stopping them from rotating.

Any ideas what could've happened?

I know the rear is done. I'm ok with that. If the front axle is gone, I can deal with it.

But if my t-case or transmission is boned, I am absolutely way up shit creek without a paddle.

What should I pull apart first? Any guesses as to what happened? Trying to get this going today.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you didn't drop the rear driveshaft and continued on the road in 4wd. The bad rear end locked up and took the transfer case with it.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Sounds like you didn't drop the rear driveshaft and continued on the road in 4wd. The bad rear end locked up and took the transfer case with it.
That's what I'm worried about. It hoping not. Once I got it home I was able to get it back into 4wd and move it some but it was making a noise and acted like it had resistance at a point. Couldn't tell if noise was coming from front axle or underneath near the t-case.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I committed a trail sin and didn't bring tools with me, buddy had some but he had left already. Didn't think I'd be breaking anything. So yeah I was limping it to autozone to rent tools to take rear shaft out and it happened.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Drop both our diff covers and take a look.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn
Drop both our diff covers and take a look.
Process of elimination. I'd put it up on jack stands and start turning wheels, then start dropping driveshafts, and diff covers and expect the worst. Once you isolate the transfer case, you should be able to turn it by hand and see as well. Pull the plug and see what the oil looks like, or dunk a magnet in and see what comes out.

The 30+ MPH speed has lots of rotating mass if something decided to come to a stop abruptly.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jordy
Process of elimination. I'd put it up on jack stands and start turning wheels, then start dropping driveshafts, and diff covers and expect the worst. Once you isolate the transfer case, you should be able to turn it by hand and see as well. Pull the plug and see what the oil looks like, or dunk a magnet in and see what comes out.

The 30+ MPH speed has lots of rotating mass if something decided to come to a stop abruptly.
Agreed. Axle covers to inspect the pumpkins, then drop the shafts. Work inwards toward the T/C.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know the rear is toast. So I will check the front end and if it's okay, how do I go about checking the t-case without disassembling it? Is that possible?
Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
I know the rear is toast. So I will check the front end and if it's okay, how do I go about checking the t-case without disassembling it? Is that possible?
Once everything is up in the air you could turn wheels and listen for noises, but I think your diffs won't allow that. I'd pull driveshafts and start turning yokes with the case in neutral and listen intently.

I'll throw a safety disclaimer in here. If you don't put it on jack stands, chock the wheels before you pull driveshafts. That is all.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:14 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Ugh.....This sucks to hear. Definitely should have yanked that rear DS to let the front pull you home, and even then be extra cautious as the gears in the rear still turning with the wheels. What concerns me the most is that you blew it up....cuz you and I have pretty similar builds and use them about the same. Were you trying to climb up Stonehenge??!!!!

Can't add much to what Jordy said already....that's your starting point. I'd imagine this is also the turning point in which you start taking all your tools as well. I used to chance things like that as long between a couple buddies and myself all had things on a combined basis.....until I had to do a little trail repair and realized you just can't rely on others. Now I pack all my tools and plan to be self sufficient even if doing a half day trip that is only an hour away. I'd much rather be the person offering help than stuck with a repair and hoping someone helps me cuz I don't have my tools.

Subscribed to see the outcome which sounds like blown rear, quite possibly blown front.....and HOPEFULLY a TC that is safe!

Quick Reply: Clusterf*cked After Blowing Out Rear