Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clusterf*cked After Blowing Out Rear

Old 09-11-2017, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I've got the rear open, looks like the spider gears went and then took some of the ring gear with them. Next I'm going to remove rear driveshaft and then maybe start it up and see how it behaves in 4hi. If I still have a problem (I expect to) I will pull the front diff cover and check its guts. Then front shaft. Then will play with t-case.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gnarly_mike
So I've got the rear open, looks like the spider gears went and then took some of the ring gear with them. Next I'm going to remove rear driveshaft and then maybe start it up and see how it behaves in 4hi. If I still have a problem (I expect to) I will pull the front diff cover and check its guts. Then front shaft. Then will play with t-case.
Most likely the spiders let go first, and then got into the ring on the drive home. At this point, I'd pull the front cover just in case there isn't a bunch of damage in there already. If something is floating around in the front diff or the transfer case, moving it with anything beyond hand power will risk running more parts through places they shouldn't be and causing more damage.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jordy
Most likely the spiders let go first, and then got into the ring on the drive home. At this point, I'd pull the front cover just in case there isn't a bunch of damage in there already. If something is floating around in the front diff or the transfer case, moving it with anything beyond hand power will risk running more parts through places they shouldn't be and causing more damage.
I just started it up and when I'm in regular rwd, when I shift from park to reverse or park to drive, no noise. However when I shift back INTO park, I get a ratchet type noise coming from under the jeep. At this point I'm hoping it's the transfer case and not the transmission. When I put it into 4wd, this noise does not happen when shifting from reverse back into park.

I suppose I never mentioned I had an Automatic transmission, not a manual.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u have the rear drive shaft off and have transfercase in 2wd the rear shaft is turning when u put it into park! With rear shaft off u can put into gear and the trans turns at walking speed but the brake that normally stops it isnt hooked up because u removed the driveshaft! So it is turning faster and its like driving 10mph and slamming jeep into park-thats the parking pawl trying to stop and hold the trans from moving
Old 09-11-2017, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If u put into gear without driveshaft, kill the motor and wait a min before putting into park to allow the rear output to slow to a stop and then turn key rest of way to off position. U can bust the parking pawl and then u have transmission repairs to go with your other drama
Old 09-11-2017, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
If u put into gear without driveshaft, kill the motor and wait a min before putting into park to allow the rear output to slow to a stop and then turn key rest of way to off position. U can bust the parking pawl and then u have transmission repairs to go with your other drama
Okay thanks for the input. It was doing that before I took rear driveshaft off but seeing as how spider gears are gone it makes sense as it's the same thing with or without the shaft on.

As it happens, my parking pawl has been slightly damaged for over a year from trying to anchor another jeep winching someone out of a hole. Forgot to set park brake and left it in park and other jeep pulled mine some, so since then it rolls slightly in park sometimes before coming to a stop.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The other thing to think about with the rear diff for sure, is replacing all your bearings, not just the gears. The amount of metal that has been run through them will shorten their lives, along with everything else around them. Plan on tearing the axle done and thoroughly cleaning it, axle tubes especially, before putting it all back together.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jordy
The other thing to think about with the rear diff for sure, is replacing all your bearings, not just the gears. The amount of metal that has been run through them will shorten their lives, along with everything else around them. Plan on tearing the axle done and thoroughly cleaning it, axle tubes especially, before putting it all back together.
I'm not worried about it because I'm replacing it with the 14 bolt I've been amassing parts for. I'll have to put it together without the locker I planned on but I can go back and do that when I get one bought.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the front ring gear is absolutely toast. Like utterly destroyed. But it appears the pinion and spyder gears are intact from what I can tell which to me seems odd, accounting for how sheared the ring gear is.

I needed to regear the front anyway to match the 14 bolt I'm going to be putting in.

Hopefully the transfer case is okay, it seems to be.

Quick Reply: Clusterf*cked After Blowing Out Rear