Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch replacement options

Old 10-20-2015, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch replacement options

Looking to get some options for clutch replacement, I did some searching on the site and web on really find no real conclusive answer which might be the best option, I seen center force comes up a ton but along with that they also have some not so good reviews with the balance ring coming out of position chatter noise. I see a lot of good thing about Luk clutches but it doesn't appear they make them for the newer Jk I believe the site stopped at 09. From what I see I have on,y two options Mopar stock clutch or Centerforce. As we all know clutches are not hard but time consuming and a Ali in the back literally. I currently have the options of a shop complete with lifts to help the cause but I will be loosing that facility in the near future and I would like to replace the clutch prior to that happening. I have 60 k my JK and plan on doing some preventative repairs ball joints, clutch for sure so just looking for real life experiences with these products

Thanks in advance
Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Centerforce, haven't had any problems with it. It does rattle a little, but that's just the nature of the centrifugal weight system. Spec also makes clutches for 3.8s and 3.6s, but their site doesn't say much, which is why I went with C-force. Overall, I'm happy with it. I also replaced the slave cylinder while I was down there to get rid of the creaking. (my Jeep sounded like a haunted house when I pressed the clutch)
Old 10-21-2015, 12:23 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Centerforce (CF) is working great for me. I had used the OEM TOB when I put the CF clutch in because CF hadn't released theirs at that time. But had the transmission out last year and put a CF TOB in just for grins. Clutch itself was fine. Have about 60-70K miles on that clutch now. The OEM one, BTW, also was fine at roughly 100K miles--the TOB was just making a lot of noise so put new clutch in just for grins.

OEM clutch when I replaced it ...

The CF clutch has a much different feel than the OEM. Folks used to driving a manual JK will immediately notice the difference. It has lighter pedal pressure, and much quicker "grab" as the clutch is released. Most folks really like it, but there is the occasional complaint. I have a friend who installed the CF clutch and TOB and within 20K miles his TOB was rattling again. So YMMV.

And, just to avoid confusion, this is the CF clutch I have ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Clutch Install, Jan 12, 9710, Old Clutch.jpg
Views:	3342
Size:	2.68 MB
ID:	627995
Old 10-21-2015, 03:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies I had used center force clutches in the past in higher HP applications which they work great, the JK doesn't fit that mold...

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Are you guys replacing the flywheel with the clutch? Re-surfacing is usually a no-no with a diaphragm shaped flywheel.

My tob is crazy noisy so I'll be doing a clutch soon. Any info on the 05-06 4.0l clutch swap? It's a touch larger than what we have.
Old 10-21-2015, 01:16 PM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

After 6 months with Centerforce, I had to again pull out the tranny(read waste a weekend) and remove the centerforce weight system which was stuck between the housing and the clutch, causing the bearing to grind on it. No help from Centerforce on the issue.... I found online Corvette owners having the same issue...
Old 10-21-2015, 02:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I have been hearing removing the ring did not cause a problem, if I go with the CF I might just do that from the start

Old 10-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Centerforce on our JK - and we've sold lots of them with all happy customers.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Offroad_Elements
Thanks Eric you haven't steered me wrong yet !!!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Offroad_Elements
What throwout bearing did you use?

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement options