Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coilover spring rate suggestions

Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilover spring rate suggestions

I'm about to do a front and rear Dana 60 swap and I'm going to convert to coilovers when I do but I don't know what rate springs I should get. Anybody have any input?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:53 PM
JK Super Freak

It don't matter 60 or 44 because that is unsprung weight I know that much. When figuring out what spring you take the weight of that corner minus axles tires brakes and rims witch is know as sprung weight to fine tune a lot goes into figuring it bumpers winch armor top. Someone can tell you where to start. But his numbers won't be yours per say. I don't have coil overs yet so I can't tell you where to start. Who your buying from can get you started.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

There are coil rate calculators out there but you will need to know your weights and how much travel your suspension will have. How much shaft you are going to have at ride height and how much droop your suspension can handle. I would check with filthy motor sports and they can walk you thru it. They are kings number one dealer and will provide you with the right info. They also have a coil buyback program if you end up changing your set up and need a different rate or length of coil.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

What axle set up are you going with? How about suspension and tire size?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

I'm looking into coilovers as well. I've been wondering the exact same thing. I understand the frequency rates and whatnot but I'm really not sure what rates to go with.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Are you looking at single, dual, or triple rate. What kind of travel are you looking for?

Last edited by TheDirtman; 03-27-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I currently have about 7.5 inches of lift with long radius arms on 40 inch nitro mud grapplers ands I have a rugged ridge front bumper with stinger and 9500 winch and in the back I have a benchmark bumper with tire carrier and full size spare and 9500 winch. I run a hardtop in the winter and soft top in the summer
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was thinking duel rate
Old 03-27-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Thats a massive amount of lift you have there. Whats your available down travel? With 40's 14" travel should be about where you need to be and dual rate should work just fine. I would guess you are going to be looking at a 250/250 but getting your weights will allow you to dial it in to exactly what you need.

Have you relocated your exhaust cross pipe?
Old 03-27-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Didn't have to relocate the exhaust and I have a lot of downtravel I flexed the front then checked the exhaust to driveshaft clearance and it was fine for plenty more flex. The Rubicon express front drive shaft yoke that I put on pushes the flex point of the double cardon passed the ypipe so no issues there

Quick Reply: coilover spring rate suggestions