Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilover vs standard sping lift

Old 05-18-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover vs standard sping lift

Somebody please break down the pros and cons of a coil-over system vs standard spring lift. I keep getting mixed info. I hear the flex is better on the coil-over then I hear its not any different than a spring lift and that the coil-over are just for tuniblity. So wtf why would one want a coil-over?
Old 05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gonwhln
flex is not a hugh difference, depend on your oter components. ride is fantastic and so is the speed you can go offroad.

pros: awesome look, great ride, tuneable, trick upgrade, speed over rocks/whoops, height adjustablitly for later mods, rebuildable for life long purchase.

cons: expensive, need to modify and weld, tuneing can be tricky with trial/error method.
One con can be crossed off if one were to get the new BOLT ON coil over setup from EVO
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

flex is not a hugh difference.
speak for yourself - not all coil over kits offer the same performance. some like your's only offer a total of about 9" of vertical travel while others, like the kind made by off road evolution offer a true 14" of vertical travel - see below...

even the new off road evolution bolt on coil over offers a true 12" of vertial travel up front and 11.25" in the rear...

i have yet to see any standard spring kit or coil over kit made by any other manufacturer offer flex and/or performance like this. but hey, that's just me.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by grandpa jeep
Somebody please break down the pros and cons of a coil-over system vs standard spring lift. I keep getting mixed info. I hear the flex is better on the coil-over then I hear its not any different than a spring lift and that the coil-over are just for tuniblity. So wtf why would one want a coil-over?
don't know who you've been talking to but clearly, they are people who either don't have coil overs on their JK or, are running a kit not made by off road evolution.

coil over pros:
• offers superior flex - as much as 14" of vertical travel
• offers superior absorbsion from high speed hits
• when dialed in properly - will offer superior ON ROAD performance and comfort
• fully adjustable (including ride height) and completely rebuildable
• valving can be set and adjusted to meet your ride quality standards
• 2 separate spring rates can be selected to help provide ride comfort and weight carring capacity
• can be run with additional triple bypass shocks to significantly increase high speed desert driving

coil over cons:
• with the exception of the new off road evoultion bolt on coil over system, they can be very expensive
• requires periodic maintenance that should be done by the manufacturer
Old 05-18-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think I'm too far off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex 2.jpg
Views:	2351
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	318477
Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wayoflife

speak for yourself - not all coil over kits offer the same performance. some like your's only offer a total of about 9" of vertical travel while others, like the kind made by off road evolution offer a true 14" of vertical travel - see below...

even the new off road evolution bolt on coil over offers a true 12" of vertial travel up front and 11.25" in the rear...

i have yet to see any standard spring kit or coil over kit made by any other manufacturer offer flex and/or performance like this. but hey, that's just me.
I have literally just sat here and stared at these pictures for 20 min.. Wow. One day.....
Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you ! That helps alot. Now does a certain someone ( WOL ) know When the new EVO bolt ons are going to be released??? soon I hope Get over there SPeed Em up...: I cant wait much longer!
Old 05-18-2012, 01:39 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Thank you for the shoot down of my kit, which does more than 9" of travel coupled with my other components....

Like alot of people here, I cannot afford evo's prices and look for quality kits elsewhere.

evo makes a very nice kit but I think this one works quite well:

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you but, it is what I have seen on the kit you have. Measured out from a full droop to a full bump, it only yielded about 9.5". I should also note that you were the one who said "flex is not a hugh difference" and, looking at your pics - running only 35" tires, i would have to agree. again, not trying to shoot your kit down - just calling it like i see it

Last edited by wayoflife; 05-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by grandpa jeep
Thank you ! That helps alot. Now does a certain someone ( WOL ) know When the new EVO bolt ons are going to be released??? soon I hope Get over there SPeed Em up...: I cant wait much longer!
unfortunately, i don't know for sure when it will be out. all i know is that they are trying to build up inventory so that when it is officially released, they will have kits ready to ship. if i could guess, maybe by the end of the month.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A related question : Specifically for going fast over rocky uneven terrain, why is a coilover better ?

Both set-ups (coilover vs coils+shocks) have the same basic materials - a spring with a shock absorber - so I've wondered is the benefit that a coilover strut reacts quicker to high speed terrain changes than a regular coil with shock absorber ?

Cheers

Quick Reply: Coilover vs standard sping lift