Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming to my jk this weeked CORE 44

Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CORE 44 Update

At the 500 mile marker of my new CORE 44's (front & back) I took my Jeep into the garage to change the diff fluids and check everything. There was some minor shavings in the diff oil which were captured by magnetic plugs. The rear diff was leaking from the front where the driveshaft bolts to the diff. For what I spent, I would think that diff would be bone dry! At first the mechanic & I thought it might have been due to a possible overfill by putting the full 2.2 quarts of diff fluid and 6 oz. of additive. The mechanic & I decided to put only 2 quarts plus 6 oz. of additive. After a couple of days, it was still leaking. I called 4WD where I bought the CORE 44's and sent the requested information & pictures. They contacted G2 and now 4WD sent a front pinion seal, which should be here in a couple days. While I appreciate 4wd sending replacement parts, I am a bit torqued that I have to either install the seal myself or pay to have it installed. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I don’t have some of the tools to complete a front pinion seal swap. I asked 4WD if this was something they would pay for and it’s basically on me. Shouldn’t G2 or 4WD pay for the install? Hopefully, the seal will fix my problem. I have been hesitant to go out & try my new axles due to the break in period and now this leak. Once I get this fixed, I plan to hit the woods. I’ll keep you all posted.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ccgagnon
At the 500 mile marker of my new CORE 44's (front & back) I took my Jeep into the garage to change the diff fluids and check everything. There was some minor shavings in the diff oil which were captured by magnetic plugs. The rear diff was leaking from the front where the driveshaft bolts to the diff. For what I spent, I would think that diff would be bone dry! At first the mechanic & I thought it might have been due to a possible overfill by putting the full 2.2 quarts of diff fluid and 6 oz. of additive. The mechanic & I decided to put only 2 quarts plus 6 oz. of additive. After a couple of days, it was still leaking. I called 4WD where I bought the CORE 44's and sent the requested information & pictures. They contacted G2 and now 4WD sent a front pinion seal, which should be here in a couple days. While I appreciate 4wd sending replacement parts, I am a bit torqued that I have to either install the seal myself or pay to have it installed. I am somewhat mechanically inclined but I don’t have some of the tools to complete a front pinion seal swap. I asked 4WD if this was something they would pay for and it’s basically on me. Shouldn’t G2 or 4WD pay for the install? Hopefully, the seal will fix my problem. I have been hesitant to go out & try my new axles due to the break in period and now this leak. Once I get this fixed, I plan to hit the woods. I’ll keep you all posted.
Didn't yours come with a warranty from 4WD? If so that should be covered and you shouldn't have to pay anything. I bought my Core 44 from 4WParts and when it started leaking fluid I called them up and the repair was covered by the warranty and I didn't have to pay anything.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

i was under the impression when you buy their extreme warranty they cover repairs no questions asked
Old 02-14-2016, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default Yup

Originally Posted by kkoshy
i was under the impression when you buy their extreme warranty they cover repairs no questions asked
I was too. Apparently, it's for parts only, no labor. The seal is scheduled to be here tomorrow, so I will be able to have my mechanic install it this Tuesday morning.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you overfilled the diff by 6 oz and it unseated the pinion seal a bit and started to leak... Then tried to not add as much and it would be better? The seal is already compromised gem the first time, it's not going to just fix itself... As for metal shavings, that's to be expected with new gears at 500 miles...
Old 02-20-2016, 09:04 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by whisps1
Doesn't the Core 44 come with drag link already flipped?
you still need to drill and tapper the knuckle to use the feature, it has a lower place to mount a track bar as well...
Old 02-20-2016, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

My front pinion leaked as well, for just a short time. I knew there was a possibility of it because I pulled the factory style yoke, and put a yoke on for a custom front driveshaft with a u-joint. It leaked for about a week... just a dribble here and there, and since then it's sealed up totally. I did buy another seal, but it had stopped leaking by the time the seal came in the mail. I have checked all winter, and it has not leaked again? My thought was that I replaced the factory yoke... so they are not responsible to repair a seal that I might have damaged. No leaks on any seals or the cover since installing.

I did manage to rip the wires out of my stock rear rubicon axle...the ones going into the indicator switch... too much snow and ice pilled up under there and the wires pulled out of the switch! It must be a jeep thing...
Old 02-24-2016, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Default Front Pinion Seal on Rear Diff Replaced

It's been a little more than a week now, since I had the front pinion seal on my rear diff replaced, and I am happy to report: ALL IS BONE DRY!! I am looking forward to getting out and hitting some trails soon to give these behemoth axles a thorough testing!
Old 05-31-2016, 10:13 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Default Bashing snow with the core 44

Holding up well with the abuse of spring!
Click image for larger version

Name:	13324312_10206870020375198_1417598163_o.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	648507Click image for larger version

Name:	13321143_10206870020295196_1660118576_o.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	648508Click image for larger version

Name:	13313844_10206870020335197_742562808_o.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	648509Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070830.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	648510
Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak
FJOTM Winner

Default Another update on the Core 44

I decided I had been in enough snow, water, and mud that I should change out the fluid a couple weeks ago. The thought I had was that there might be some shavings in the diff. I dumped the break-in oil after 400 miles, but still assumed that there would be some metal flakes in the oil. The oil still looked new! Color was good, no metal, no sign of any wear on the locker. All works fine...

The pinion seal has not leaked in a long time now... had a slight leak at first but it never has re-opened.

Nothings is bent, ball joints and all are holding up well!

Now comes winter again. The Axle has a lot of miles on it now... Locker still works really well, I have not had it "let go" under lock yet, as some said they had an issue with that. So far no problems!

Quick Reply: Coming to my jk this weeked CORE 44