JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Connecting Axle breathers to intake snorkel (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/connecting-axle-breathers-intake-snorkel-250584/)

AwdDude 10-09-2012 05:14 PM

Connecting Axle breathers to intake snorkel

Ok, sounds crazy i know, but hear me out. the highest i have seen people mount their axle breather hoses is on the firewall inside the engine bay. to me that still seems like water could splash up there. if you had a snorkel you could thread some fitings into it for your axle breathers, probably before the pvc return so your not getting dirty engine oil in your axles, then all you would have to worry about would be keeping your intake above water level. what do you guys think?

Rich6700 10-09-2012 05:50 PM

Its never been done that i know off, and i wouldn't suggest doing it. But it you want to try something, I've put baby bottle nipples on the vent tubes, lets the air pressure that can build up in differentials out without letting water in.

mkjeep 10-09-2012 05:56 PM

Stupid IMO, accidently overfill your diffs and see what happens.

JKingAround 10-09-2012 06:01 PM

You could create a vacuum and drain the fluid out your diff

mkjeep 10-09-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JKingAround (Post 3245598)

...and be sent to a parallel universe.

ronjenx 10-09-2012 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by JKingAround (Post 3245598)

Yes. The snorkel is bound to be a lower pressure than inside the diffs. A slight vacuum in the diffs can cause water to pass through the seals.
The whole idea of the vent tubes is to keep the diffs at an equal pressure with atmosphere.

FlameRedJK 10-09-2012 06:39 PM

Uhm...go to River Raider offroad's website and buy the smiling bobs breather hose extension or whatever it is called...its a kit that does exactly what you're talking about.

bbrown626 10-09-2012 06:39 PM

What about just mounting it high up and add in a check valve that allows it to vent, but doesn't allow anything to flow in? We use them on our dirt bike gas cap vents. They also make splash guards for the top of them, but they serve a slightly different purpose.

Just like your intake, you could route your vent through a reservoir that would catch small amounts of water. A good example is also a radiator overflow or a brake line bleeder. Any liquid is caught in a tank, but air still flows through connections in the top.

JKCobra 10-09-2012 06:42 PM

One of the vent tubes already ties into the stock air box, so yeah no need to worry about a vacuum sucking fluid out. Several people, including myself run breather tube extensions that tie all of them together into this one vent line. I think river raider sales a kit for them. Search breather tube extension and you should find some options.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ronjenx 10-09-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by FlameRedJK (Post 3245669)
Uhm...go to River Raider offroad's website and buy the smiling bobs breather hose extension or whatever it is called...its a kit that does exactly what you're talking about.

I looked at the product, and at a thread that showed the installation.

The final line, after all the other lines are tied together, is connected to the line that goes from the stock air box to the right side valve cover. That's the line that feeds the crank case with filtered air for the PCV system.
I wouldn't want to have contaminated diff/transmission/t-case oil getting into my crank case. (Or into the air box or snorkel, if connected to one of those)
And like I said, drawing a vacuum on the gear boxes can promote water and dirt migration through the seals.

Seems to me like a bad idea.