Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arms

Old 09-09-2016, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arms

Just curious, what control arms is everyone running and how do you like them. I need to get some rear arms soon to push my rear axel back an inch or so to re-center my tire in the wheel well. (Rear bumper is removed now).
Click image for larger version

Name:	major rear wheel well.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	656377
Old 09-09-2016, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

Go with MetalCloak and don't look back.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock krawler, metal cloak, synergy, (some people even suggest Teraflex, although I've heard some bad things about bushings yet I have no real world experience) they're all high quality and will do exactly as you need. I went with Rock Krawler but wanted Metal Cloaks. If I were to go back I would just spring the extra bit and get them.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Concur with the above. MetalCloak.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

I run RK but anything with JJ's is good. I liked Synergy's arms with JJ's. Not a big fan of the new joints.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The main thing to look at is the joints the arms use. Some use a ball and socket, some use the OEM style bushing and some have their own high misalignment bushings. Unless you have crazy flex which most don't you don't need the super high misalignment joints. You should also look at the maintenance of the different joints out there as well as they all have different needs. You may also want to look at if a rebuild kit is available or if you just have to buy a new joint.

A ball and socket will give you the most free movement in the joint but typically allow more vibration thru the joint and may offer a slightly rougher rider over the OEM style joints. The joints that Synergy and MetalCloak, as well as OEM style joints offer more vibration resistance but are always in a bind when your suspension articulates. They also can make the suspension feel squishy where a heim joint is about as tight as you can get the suspension to feel but offers a harsher ride and can be noisy.

Construction of the arms is something else to look at as some are solid and heavy and some offer a double adjuster so you can make adjustments without removing the arms. Most arms will have bends in them for added clearance.

Know what you are actually buying and what is needed will go farther then asking what everyone uses as you can get about 20 different answers.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

I've been looking at
1. Rock Krawler ($520)
2. Metal Cloak ($650) and
3. Currie ($670)

I'm leaning more toward RK, mainly due to price. Anything else I should consider when pushing the axle back an inch or so?
Old 09-09-2016, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Core4x4 is another option.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by highandlow
Go with MetalCloak and don't look back.
^^^^^^ what highandlow said
Old 09-09-2016, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DHuval319
I've been looking at 1. Rock Krawler ($520) 2. Metal Cloak ($650) and 3. Currie ($670) I'm leaning more toward RK, mainly due to price. Anything else I should consider when pushing the axle back an inch or so?
Fwiw RK's latest arms allow almost stock adjustment. Meaning the 1" stretch is up to the owner.

Quick Reply: Control Arms