Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Control Arms

Old 09-15-2016, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
As others mentioned, you'll need to move your rear sway bar back if you want to continue using it, othwerwise the links will be pushed way too far forward, and will most likely contact your upper control arm mount. Moving the sway bar back is as easy as drilling new holes 1" towards the rear, and using new 3/8" self threading bolts. That said, to do that you have to replace your muffler as previously mentioned, because there is not enough room to move it with the factory muffler there. That opens up a whole nother barrel of pickles like do you relocate a new muffler between the axles (which would require evap can relocate) or do you mount in stock location, not to mention which muffler do you get. I mounted an aftermarket muffler in the stock location. Muffler shop charged me $40 to do so and created a nice custom bend from where the stock muffler bolts on to the new one as I wanted the ability to chop it off and bolt the stock back up there if I didn't like it. Anyhow, one more thing to look at is some spring correction wedges. The RK wedges work great and are only $20 or so. If you don't address the perch location you're not gonna be happy with your springs bending like a banana. Also, you might need to address your bump stops depending on your set up. There's a good chance that moving your axle back, your bumps might not line up properly. You might want to go with a bump that is angled toward the front of the jeep like the RK ones are, or like the MC ones do when they stack up. I've got MC arms and am happy. No arms are maintenance free. Even MC recommends you disassemble and re-grease annually IIRC from the instructions. It really comes down to personal preference. Can't go wrong with MC, but I can see how they're not for everyone. Also, if you don't have a wrench big enough to get around those jam nuts, harbor freight sells a 24" that is only $22 after a 20% coupon. It will be good for a few laughs too when people see it in your tool bag. http://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-a...nch-60702.html
I tried both the jumbo wrenches. The problem is they round the jam nut. I also used a reg wrench but finally torqued them using a crows foot (as shown in the pic)

Quick Reply: Control Arms