Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting a manual into automatic

Old 11-23-2010, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a manual into automatic

I have a 2007 JK manual which i love except I whished I had picked a automatic. Not willing to trade in or sell. Would it be doable do convert? What would it take? Is it just bolt on?

Thanks,

Nils
Old 11-25-2010, 02:47 AM
JK Newbie

It would be costly because you'd need to find the correct automatic (new one from the dealer would most likely cost a few thousand dollars), replace the radiator and add transmission cooler lines, you would need to change parameters in the ECU aswell, also you'd need all the linkage required to convert it from manual to automatic. The parts alone would run into the thousands of dollars plus the labor if you're not doing the work yourself would cost in the thousand plus range.

Find the car you want that already has an automatic, changing from a manual to auto will be very expensive.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

i would just sell it.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

It is not a realistic undertaking! Save yourself a lot of headache and trade it for what you want....
Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
My JK is a 6 speed an my wife's is an automatic.

From personal experience, the JK automatic sucks. It i geared way too tall. It needs 5.38 differential gears and 35" or smaller tires to perform anything close to a 6 speed.

I would never buy another JK automatic.

If someone with a 6 speed is considering an automatic for wheeling in rock gardens, instead gear the diffs to 5.13s and run a Rubi 4:1 transfer case to get the crawl ratio you need.

If the purpose is to avoid constant shifting in Los Angeles type traffic jams, get a different vehicle for commuting.

The gearing of the automatic is just that bad with that much lost performance compared to the 6 speed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
+1 on this. My Sahara was an automatic. The main reason I sold it was because of the terrible gearing that the auto transmission has. Sure it's a little annoying driving a 6 speed in Washington DC traffic but it's well worth it to have a jeep that performs properly. The most annoying part of the auto was when climbing the mountains loaded down or towing. In 3rd gear at 70 mph you would be running around 3500 RPM which wasn't enough to pull most hills loaded down. The next down shift to second would take the RPMs all the way to red line. So the eninge would constantly go from 3500 to red line over and over again. Now with the 6 speed when I drop to 4th gear it pulls in the mid 4k range and just cruises right up the hills.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

As far as commuting w a stick goes, I find the JK much easier than a six speed car. I drive 150 miles a day round trip w my Sahara manual. I had a six speed civic si and was constantly shifting in slow traffic. I can chug along in second in crawling traffic between almost stop and 20 w/o shifting. Being up high is also great.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love my manual, after reading what everyone else has said about converting. If you really want an automatic I would just sell it and buy an automatic. Not worth all that money to create it.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having driven multiple copies with both transmissions, the manual is much better IMO (and that's what I own). It may not be quite as easy to rockcrawl with sometimes, but definitely puts more power to the ground and does what you want it to do, when you want it to do it.

And it is an easy manual vehicle to drive. I rarely have a sore clutch leg or get annoyed with having to shift.

Quick Reply: Converting a manual into automatic