Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Regear? Are local shops ripping me off?

Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to 5.13 Yukons F/R and local shop charged me $1425 parts and Labor.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had the same issue here. the local shop wanted just under 3000$ and thats suposably with a 10% discount. told em where they could stick that. bought the gears and install kits from northridge for 650.00 then found a little less local place that had experience and they did the install for 1200 so it was still a bit high 1850 for all but it wasent 3 grand.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

I believe that at the moment , Globex Performance is running a $1000 gear special.

They are in Toms River NJ.

Might be worth a call to see if that includes the gears or not.

even though I don't think that would help the OP
Old 04-07-2017, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

Just called and they are running that deal, $1000 for front and rear regear, including gears, fluids etc

but they are booked up until the end of june
Old 04-07-2017, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by billetsilverjk
Just called and they are running that deal, $1000 for front and rear regear, including gears, fluids etc

but they are booked up until the end of june
LOL, OP is in St Louis. Poor OP keeps getting kicked in the nads hearing how cheap the rest of the community has it.

"cheap" being relative of course.....
Old 04-07-2017, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
LOL, OP is in St Louis. Poor OP keeps getting kicked in the nads hearing how cheap the rest of the community has it.

Poor guy,

I had to drive 3 hours to the shop that geared my jeep, but I hope the OP can find some place decent at a reasonable price, that's not a days drive away!
Old 04-07-2017, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Was going to go Axle Boy in STL, but decided not to be lazy and regeared in my garage, with a buddy from work. Front on Thursday, rear in Fri and driving by weekend. Been month now and no issues. Have about 200 miles to go until fluid change.
Axle Boy wanted $2200.... I haven't $600 invested.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-140135577.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	669909
Old 04-08-2017, 03:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001

Man, ain't that the truth. Guess that's the curse of living in "Fly Over Country." I had the same problem with car audio. We have one shop here in town that is litterally world class (Does Bentley's and Rolls on the daily) who charges a ton but is worth it, then a bunch of other shops who try to hit his same ballpark with much less quality. Maybe it's time I just apply for that transfer to Denver. lol

Originally Posted by Scvette01
Was going to go Axle Boy in STL, but decided not to be lazy and regeared in my garage, with a buddy from work. Front on Thursday, rear in Fri and driving by weekend. Been month now and no issues. Have about 200 miles to go until fluid change.
Axle Boy wanted $2200.... I haven't $600 invested.

Attachment 669909
I need to hook up with you guys! What gearing did you end up going with?

I reached out to my buddy from ZS who used to be really into XJ's. Gonna see if he can give me a hand. I've got the shop space and I'd say probably 90% of the tools. I'm sure I could rent/borrow the rest.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skippman
Man, ain't that the truth. Guess that's the curse of living in "Fly Over Country." I had the same problem with car audio. We have one shop here in town that is litterally world class (Does Bentley's and Rolls on the daily) who charges a ton but is worth it, then a bunch of other shops who try to hit his same ballpark with much less quality. Maybe it's time I just apply for that transfer to Denver. lol I need to hook up with you guys! What gearing did you end up going with? I reached out to my buddy from ZS who used to be really into XJ's. Gonna see if he can give me a hand. I've got the shop space and I'd say probably 90% of the tools. I'm sure I could rent/borrow the rest.
Did Yukons 4.56... crush sleeve was hardest part. Used 1/2" impact and it still took a bit
Old 04-08-2017, 09:45 PM
JK Newbie

1050 to 1200 seems to be the norm here in AZ

Quick Reply: Cost to Regear? Are local shops ripping me off?