Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslist AEV Bumper without mounting hardware?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys not to high jack this thread but thought I'd share this story. So I have the AEV premium front bumper with bull bar on my 13' JKU.
I'm going to be putting flat fenders on soon so I'll be changing to a mid or stubby front bumper as I don't like the looks of a full width bumper
With flat fenders. Anyway there is a local 4x shop here highly regarded top notch that posted a Jeep build they just finished couple days ago.on Facebook
The owner of the jeep had the AEV premium bumper he had the shop cut the ends off of the bumper and cap the ends . This thing look so nice
Like it came built like that from AEV. I went up to the shop this past Thursday to check it out and see how much they would charge to do mine.
Save me from buying a new stubby bumper right. They told me when all said and done, 10 hrs. Shop time materials re powder coat,,',,,
Are YOU READY.... $1000.00 I just started laughing this person has a $1300 bumper than spends a $1000 more to have it chopped and boxed.
WTF.... It did look sweet as hell though. I'm going to do mine just like it but by my self if I can't sell the bumper by the time I get my
Flat fenders on. Just thought I'd share..
Old 09-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Hey guys not to high jack this thread but thought I'd share this story. So I have the AEV premium front bumper with bull bar on my 13' JKU.
I'm going to be putting flat fenders on soon so I'll be changing to a mid or stubby front bumper as I don't like the looks of a full width bumper
With flat fenders. Anyway there is a local 4x shop here highly regarded top notch that posted a Jeep build they just finished couple days ago.on Facebook
The owner of the jeep had the AEV premium bumper he had the shop cut the ends off of the bumper and cap the ends . This thing look so nice
Like it came built like that from AEV. I went up to the shop this past Thursday to check it out and see how much they would charge to do mine.
Save me from buying a new stubby bumper right. They told me when all said and done, 10 hrs. Shop time materials re powder coat,,',,,
Are YOU READY.... $1000.00 I just started laughing this person has a $1300 bumper than spends a $1000 more to have it chopped and boxed.
WTF.... It did look sweet as hell though. I'm going to do mine just like it but by my self if I can't sell the bumper by the time I get my
Flat fenders on. Just thought I'd share..
Post some pics of the other guys and yours when you get it done. I would love to see how it looks.

I'm Imagining with a metal cutting tool, filing up the rough edges and then taking it to someone to welding on some end caps, you could get that done for WAY less than $1K.

Here's a mod I'm looking at doing.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...7/#post4146368

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-25-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Post some pics of the other guys and yours when you get it done. I would love to see how it looks.

I'm Imagining with a metal cutting tool, filing up the rough edges and then taking it to someone to welding on some end caps, you could get that done for WAY less than $1K.

Here's a mod I'm looking at doing.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...7/#post4146368
Nice! I'll be following your tread. I need some sort of front tow hook solution as well. I haven't seen the oem tow hooks used on the AEV yet, but I'm considering it now.
Old 09-26-2015, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riddoch
You are coorect! Thanks! $300 + $20 in bolts later- I made my existing light bar work, but I'm sure how I feel about it. Gotta get a winch now...and a lift...and tires...and...yeah...
If you don't like the bar you have and want it to look more like the AEV tube, go to runitrux.com and check out all of their accessories for the 10th anniversary bumper. They sell a tune that's the exact specifications of the AEV tube, and they have some other variations and styles as well, all pretty reasonable prices
Old 11-03-2015, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default Aev hardware needed.

I myself got a good deal on an cod aev bumper with no hardware and was wondering if you could tell me what hardware you used to mount your bumper on?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

I've received a couple private messages from users about the hardware I used. I just used 8 M12 hex head bolts as specified in the original aev install guide. The guide didn't specify a length so I just estimated. Mine were somewhere between 2" and 3" I think. It doesn't matter but they came out a little long. They'd probably be perfect if I had the two hook plates, which I still don't have a solution for. I'd love to hear if anyone has found an easy fab solution. I also picked up 8 flat washers for the front, 8 locking washers in the back, and 8 nuts. All black oxide. The black oxide was rusting inside the hex so I taped them off and hit them with rustolium. That was a PITA. Other than that I've been happy. Picked up a winch out kit on CL on the cheap as well. Just need a winch...and two tow loops. Took the rugged ridge light bar off if anyone wants it make an offer. The led light bar easily mounts directly to the bumper with the predrilled holes for the winch cover plate.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

I still haven't installed mine. I've been doing some research on mounting hardware as well.

For mounting the bumper you should be looking for black button socket head (rounded off heads) bolts if you want to match the AEV bolts.
Here's what I found someone else did who was also missing the hardware, not much other info.

(7)M12 X 1.75 X 70mm
(1)M12 X 1.75 X (some shorter length for upper inner bolt mounting, needed if installing a winch)
(8)M13 washers

Ordered from: Fastenal

Funny thing is about 4 weeks ago, I went to a store on my lunch hour by my work shopping for some tools. I saw a sweat JKU in the parking lot decked to the nine with AEV equipment. While I was admiring it (likely drooling), some guy came out of the store I was headed into, so I looked away to not give the impression I was doing anything malicious. The guy says to me, "Like it? It's for sale". I kind of felt like I got caught starring and drooling checking out someone else's girlfriend. Knowing I could not likely afford it I said, I was just admiring your rig, I really love all the AEV stuff you have on it. He says, "Hi I'm Bob from AEV." Dooh!!! One of AEV's facilities is located about 5 miles from where I work, Novi/Wixom MI area.

I did tell him I needed to get some replacement crush cans, and he said just give us a call and we can take care of that for you. I should have asked about the mounting hardware as well. I did ask him, "Is your AEV location a store front where I can stop in and buy stuff?". He said, "Sorry, no but feel free to give us a call and we can take care of you for anything you need." Maybe, just being a polite/accommodating sales rep. We went on talking about lifts and such for the next 15 minutes and how his AEV rig had the AEV 3.5" lift with 37's.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-19-2016 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

I also picked up 8 flat washers for the front, 8 locking washers in the back, and 8 nuts. All black oxide. The black oxide was rusting inside the hex so I taped them off and hit them with rustolium. That was a PITA. Other than that I've been happy.
I recently had that problem with some black oxide bolts as well. Here's the perfect and easy solution I found.

Get some old motor oil, the blacker/dirtier the better. I used axle gear oil that I had laying around since I recently changed my diffy covers. Heat each bolt, washer, nut up with a propane torch to get them as hot as possible and then just drop/quench them in the oil. It puts a nice even black coat on them, no more rust, nice black finish and best of all it doesn't scrape off like paint when you fasten them together.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Found a possible solution-

https://maximus-3.com/home/d-ring-loop

http://www.offroaders.com/projects-i...loops-install/

I have the AEV winch plate. I'll probably order a set of these when I get a winch and install the winch plate. I'll update the thread if and when that happens.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Found a possible solution-

https://maximus-3.com/home/d-ring-loop

http://www.offroaders.com/projects-i...loops-install/

I have the AEV winch plate. I'll probably order a set of these when I get a winch and install the winch plate. I'll update the thread if and when that happens.
How do you plan on mounting those? They look nothing like the AEV tow loop brackets. I've been looking at some trailer hitch adapters at Harbor Freight. I'm thinking with a little trimming and cutting with an angle grinder, I might be able to fab something very similar to the AEV tow loop brackets and wouldn't cost hardly anything. You can get the AEV tow loop brackets for $99.00. Too much for my tastes, but I'm unsure how that compares to the maximus brackets you're looking at. They're listed on the Northridge 4x4 website.

FYI, I just called AEV since I needed the crush can cover replacements. I figured instead of trying to find replacement mounting bolts, I asked if I could order the Hardware mounting pack that comes with the bumper for install. It was pricey as all things AEV, but I figured that will make my life easier. You can order it from them directly. $59.95 for the hardware pack. After I pick it up, I'll post what is all included.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-10-2016 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Craigslist AEV Bumper without mounting hardware?