Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D30 to D44 Axle Swap Using MOPAR Parts

Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D30 to D44 Axle Swap Using MOPAR Parts

I just recently added aftermarket front and rear bumpers for my Sahara. My main concern is the added weight on the front end. I haven't installed the winch yet because I plan on purchasing stronger coils and a better axle that will handle the weight.

I am looking at purchasing a Rubicon Dana 44 front axle assembly and I have a few concerns about it. I am not worried about the gear ratio because my Sahara came with 4:10 (tow package from 07). I do not plan on changing the rear axle out either. My plan is just to swap the front D30 axle with the D44. I do not intend to use the locker in the front because I am just fine on the trail with limited slip.

Will the spine count matter since it changes from 30 to 33 (I beleive)? Would I have to change out components if this is a problem?

Do I have to connect and flash the locker/carrier that comes with the 44 or can I drive it as is?

Do I have to change any transfer case components?

Can I plug and play then drive away? Or am I looking at something more complicated?

It would be nice to have the option of having a D44 front end with limited slip instead of these weak 30s.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Will the spine count matter since it changes from 30 to 33 (I beleive)? Would I have to change out components if this is a problem?
Changing from 27 to 30, won't affect anything.

I do not intend to use the locker in the front... Do I have to connect and flash the locker/carrier that comes with the 44 or can I drive it as is?
Just an opinion, but why waste a perfectly good locker? It is part of the axle, you are paying for it, wire it in and use it!
Can I plug and play then drive away? Or am I looking at something more complicated?
Since you aren't wiring the locker, and you have 4.10's rear, it's a direct bolt in replacement.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, now I am convinced that I should do this.

I really dont have any use for a locker even for offroading alot. I guess you're right, if it's there use it.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: D30 to D44 Axle Swap Using MOPAR Parts