Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D30 Gusset and Sleeve kit recommendations...?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D30 Gusset and Sleeve kit recommendations...?

Looking to reinforce the old D30 now that I'm running 37s. Sleeves, gussets, anything else I should get? Don't want to spend a ton, but want the extra reinforcement. Any particular brands/kits you all recommend? Teraflex sleeve and gusset kit just includes upper yoke gussets. Is this enough or should I get top and bottom gussets?

Thanks

Last edited by MarbleheadGuy; 01-31-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Evo and Teraflex are good ones
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
JK Super Freak

I just did EVO gussets and an Artec truss on my D30 with EVO lower control arms skids.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...thread-259387/
Old 01-31-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the EVO gussets and LCA skids, and Nitro sleeves from northridge.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as they are properly installed any brand should suffice.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 PM
JK Super Freak

By the way, if your going to be there welding, why not do the bottom gusset as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with Synergy gussets and Nitro sleeves. Evo sleeves are stronger though and have a nice shaft seal, any weld in sleeves are stronger than 'pound in' sleeves. Gussets are pretty basic, any of the weld on gussets will work fine.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mistasparkl
I got the EVO gussets and LCA skids, and Nitro sleeves from northridge.
X2, just ordered mine tonight.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sleeving vs Gussets

Sleeving reinforcement can be done in two ways. Internal sleeves are inserted into the axle housing and increase the "thickness" of the housing between the housing and the axle. Some manufactures of internal sleeves are: Rock-Slide Engineering, Poly Performance, Tereflex, Iron Rock, EVO, and Nitro. I believe all but the Nitro require holes to be drilled in the housing then plug welding the sleeve to the axle tubes. The Nitro is pressed/(pounded) into place using friction of a precision fit. Nitro sleeves are preferred by some as they have a slightly larger I.D (resulting in a thinner wall thickness) that is just large enough to allow use of 35 spline axles.

An alternate method is to sleeve the outside of the housing. Rock Slide Engineering has an outer sleeve kit. This increases the "thickness" of the axle tube by adding material to the external or outside of the tubing.

Gusseting is installed at least on the upper sections of the "C" where the "C" is the weakest. However, gussets can be installed on the lower section as well . There are two options for these. Solid flat (and thick) gussets are available through Rock Slide, Terraflex, JKS, and Pure Jeep. The other option is thinner gauge metal that is formed into a "U" shape and is welded in place on both sides of the "U" channel of the gusset to the outer edges of the "C" section. This style can be obtained through, Poly Performance, Iron Rock, Nitro, and EVO.. Some users have stated that part of the "U" section can interfere with the speed sensor (when the wheels are fully turned to the steering stop) while others have not experienced (or expressed) this.

Trusses (reinforce the entire axle tube assembly and are welded to the "pumkin" and typically to each side of the housing) are available from Pure Jeep and Artec.

The topic of how much reinforcement is enough has been discussed numerous times with almost as many opinions. However, all agree that running larger tires should include at least some reinforcement and how "extreme" you wheel should be taken into consideration. Obviously, if you haven't bent your axle you are OK. However, if you have bent it, the reinforcement installed was not enough.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 02-04-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Super Freak

It was also mentioned when I was looking into doing my D30 not to upgrade the axle shafts unless you upgrade the gears as well. Now the week link is the axle shaft and when you upgrade the axle shafts your weak link is now the gears which are big money. Better to blow and replace the axle shaft than the gears.

Quick Reply: D30 Gusset and Sleeve kit recommendations...?