Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D30 strengthening. Sleeves, Truss or both?

Old 12-21-2016, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default D30 strengthening. Sleeves, Truss or both?

Which one would be the better option? My current setup is 4.5" Rubicon Express long arm with 37's. I will be adding gussets to the "C's" soon. I would love to go ahead and upgrade to a D44, but that isn't an option at the moment. So, by making the best out of what I have, I would like to hear from some of you who have done this and your thoughts on it. Also, as far as the sleeves go which would be better press in or weld on?
Old 12-21-2016, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never done, nor would I ever, do sleeves. They are a waste. They do not add any significant strength. The truss, in your case, is the only real option. I have a truss on my D44. I've tested it a few times. Seems to be holding up.

Now, saying that, be prepared for those to tell you that anything you do to a D30 is a waste and that you should wheel it until you break it, then upgrade to a Prorock for $6,000. But I say do what fits your budget.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truss, C gussets, and heavy diff cover to support the center section.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
I've never done, nor would I ever, do sleeves. They are a waste. They do not add any significant strength. The truss, in your case, is the only real option. I have a truss on my D44. I've tested it a few times. Seems to be holding up.

Now, saying that, be prepared for those to tell you that anything you do to a D30 is a waste and that you should wheel it until you break it, then upgrade to a Prorock for $6,000. But I say do what fits your budget.
That's just it, I did break it, but due to my ex wife cleaning me out during a divorce over the last 6 months (note: never allow all of your money to be handled by your spouse! When they leave so does your life savings). I am now on a budget for a while. This one is being replaced by the insurance company because of a crash. I just don't want to have the same thing happen again. So, truss, gussets, and possibly sleeves are the budget for now.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A strengthened D30 is not going to help it in a crash, been there. All the brackets get smashed and the insurance will not cover the repair only replace the whole unit.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truss, sleeved, and gusseted. I went with EVO weld in sleeves.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
A strengthened D30 is not going to help it in a crash, been there. All the brackets get smashed and the insurance will not cover the repair only replace the whole unit.
I know, I was referring to it breaking again in general. Just don't want to have to deal with it.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky5
This one is being replaced by the insurance company because of a crash. I just don't want to have the same thing happen again. So, truss, gussets, and possibly sleeves are the budget for now.
Has it already been replaced? Or are they cutting you a check that can be used toward the purchase of a beefier axle? If you have discretion on how the money gets spent, but can't get to a complete pr/tera/g2/whatever, maybe go for a bare housing and fill it as funds become available. Just a suggestion to consider all of your possible options.

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-21-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like already stated, people will say "beefing" up a D30 is a waste and well, they are right. Now if you don't really plan on doing any crazy wheeling, I'm sure it will last you a while like they do for many. I would say gussets at minimum but that's it. A sleeve will not prevent your axle to bend at the housing and have seen some still snap in the middle.

You can actually get a fully built PR44 with ARB locker, RCV shafts and Dynatrac Pro Steer ball joints for 5k and some change. Less if you drop the pro steers and RCV shafts. Just an idea.

Sorry to hear about your Ex!
Old 12-21-2016, 10:12 PM
JK Newbie

I had the option to accept a check for the damages, but opted to just let the shop install another d30. Running out of time on my rental and trying to move. Maybe sometime in the near future I can upgrade and sell this axle and make up some of the cost for the new. I've had a e locker and new gears sitting in my garage for a while now waiting to see what was going to come of my divorce before I installed them.

It's funny you say sorry about your ex, but the way I was done and with what she got away with you would have thought it was me running around. Oh well, lesson learned! Just wish my kids wouldn't of had to deal with it. That bothered me more than anything else. Hard to watch a child who don't understand go through what they have.

Anyways, back on topic, as far as ease of installation which brand would be the best truss kit? Who do you prefer?Been looking at the EVO, Blue Torch and Artec kit. I like the EVO kit because I won't have to weld to the chunk and since it essentially will become one piece once finished.

Quick Reply: D30 strengthening. Sleeves, Truss or both?