JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Dana 44 differential armor...best ones for the money? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/dana-44-differential-armor-best-ones-money-13700/)

Area-51 08-14-2007 11:41 AM

Dana 44 differential armor...best ones for the money?

Have another 2500 miles to go, and then it would be time to change the differential fluids (synthetic of course)....which to me is the perfect time to replace the factory stuff with better armored pieces :D

Who makes the best ones for the money as well as protection?
How about seals?

jsmoriss 08-14-2007 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Area-51 (Post 151371)
Have another 2500 miles to go, and then it would be time to change the differential fluids (synthetic of course)....which to me is the perfect time to replace the factory stuff with better armored pieces :D

Who makes the best ones for the money as well as protection?
How about seals?

I went with Riddler because they're lipless, otherwise I might have gone with Blue Torch. I think steel plate is tougher than forged steel, but I really wanted that lipless design. I also used Lube Lockers instead of RTV.

BTW, after only 1500km or so, my diff oil felt a little powdery. I'm glad I changed it earlier than later.

js.

tgrt 08-14-2007 12:18 PM

The differential fluid in my front differential was way overfilled. It poored out for a few seconds after I removed the fill nut.

jeepik 08-14-2007 12:22 PM

i have the riddlers

best bang for the buck and are lipless so they wont get cought up on anything

if i had the dough i would have gone for Crane, but i have no regrets on the riddler covers

RUBICONPOOR 08-14-2007 03:47 PM

I went with the Warn front diff skid until it is time to change the fluid and then I will go with the Crane unless I can get the ARB covers.

Area-51 08-15-2007 05:28 AM

bump for more opinions....want to do this right :D

jsmoriss 08-15-2007 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Area-51 (Post 151823)
bump for more opinions....want to do this right :D

BTW, I just thought of something - if you get a diff cover with a high fill plug, and don't need the high fill plug, then it's a bit more of a pain to fill (and not over-fill). I might have waited for the Crane a little longer had I known. The Crane don't have the cut-out for the Rubi e-locker bracket, but if you ask, they'll machine the cut-out for you.

js.

BigJerm 08-15-2007 07:41 AM

kinda silly question but when are you sopose to change the diff fluid mileage wise?

Area-51 08-15-2007 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by BigJerm (Post 151924)
kinda silly question but when are you sopose to change the diff fluid mileage wise?

owner's manual has it every 15k miles.

Other factor's could have you changing it sooner than that, but that is what the owner's manual states for change.

jared1843 08-15-2007 12:35 PM

I use SOLID brand Diff covers front and back... Got a sweet package deal