Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Advertisement
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 44 gear ratio?

Old 07-06-2019, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dana 44 gear ratio?

I have a 2012 2dr Jeep jk sport, and I cant tell what gear ratio is in the back axle of my jeep. Its the stock dana 44 axle, but for some reason the previous owner must have taken the metal tag off of it with the information i need.

Im looking to swap out the front axle to a 44, but i cant order it until i have the right gear ratio to match the one i have.

any information would be helpful, i think its a 3.73 but im not certain. if nothing else, if there is another way for me to figure out what ratio it is i'd appreciate the insight.
Old 07-06-2019, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

3.21 is most likely, 3.73 is the optional ratio.

Some options are:
Send in your VIN and request a build sheet. (won't help if the previous owner regeared...)
Pull the cover and count teeth.
Lift one corner, spin that tire and count driveshaft revolutions.
Measure your tires (measured, not what the mfg or sidewall says), jump on the freeway and note your rpm's at 70 mph, then plug the numbers into the gear chart.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure that they are putting the tag on the rear covers any more. I looked for one on my 2013 last week when we had it on the lift, and it was not on it. I am 100% sure the cover has not been pulled on mine.
Do a search on a Jeep Build Sheet. The web site should pop up after a little looking. Add your VIN and it will tell how your Jeep was built, to include gears.

Bob
Old 07-07-2019, 07:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

They don't put tags on the diffs anymore. best way is to jack tires off the ground and spin while counting the revolutions in the driveshaft. It will need to be in neutral.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Autos had 3.21 most manuals have 3.73. That means most not all. Manual at 60mph with stock 32" tires will say 1950rpm with 3.73. Gives you a rough idea. Not sure what the auto OD ratio is so can't say what that might be.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Chock the rear wheels.

Jack one front tire off the ground.
Put a chalk mark on the tire and the drive shaft.
Rotate the tire by hand 2 complete revolutions while counting the drive shaft turns.
The number will be your gear ratio.
A little less than 3 turns will be 3.21 gears.
About 3 turns will be 3.73 gears.
A little over 4 turns will be 4.10 gears.
About 4 turns will be 4.56 gears
A little less than 5 turns will be 4.88 gears
The following users liked this post:
bkg (07-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Dana 44 gear ratio?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: