Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daystar Hood Vents?

Old 11-01-2017, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daystar Hood Vents?

I'm toying with the idea of adding the Daystars to my 2017 JK to reduce under hood temps and flutter. I looked at the few old posts I could find on them and they generally have favorable reviews, but one person on Amazon or somewhere gave them bad reviews because of where they allowed water to drain onto (I think on one side he said it was draining on the TCM). Has anyone on here put them in and not liked them? When you see the factory vented hoods, do they have any form of water drain system, or just let rain in on the motor? thanks..
Old 11-01-2017, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by donbarnes
I'm toying with the idea of adding the Daystars to my 2017 JK to reduce under hood temps and flutter. I looked at the few old posts I could find on them and they generally have favorable reviews, but one person on Amazon or somewhere gave them bad reviews because of where they allowed water to drain onto (I think on one side he said it was draining on the TCM). Has anyone on here put them in and not liked them? When you see the factory vented hoods, do they have any form of water drain system, or just let rain in on the motor? thanks..
I don't think you're going to notice much difference in hood flutter with or without vents. Take the spring out of the hood and get better latches to deal with that. I do think that ventilation helps with engine bay temps, but I don't notice a difference in the operating temps.....so if you're just trying to keep the bay a little cooler for the plastic and such that's in there....great, but don't expect the engine to run cooler in general.

There are primarily 2 types of people......ones that say don't worry about water getting in....and others that are overly freaked out about it. I'm more of the first and have a PSC hood louver. That said....I'd kinda agree that letting water drain right over TIPM prob not the best thought....even though it should really be fine. I'd prefer to keep water drainage over the main part of the engine/engine cover myself. You should have a little discretion on where you're installing it....but still have to work around the cross supports on the underside of the hood.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix the Flutter

This is probably the best 25$ I have spent on my rig so far.
Daystar? - Driven by Design
Old 11-01-2017, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Do the factory vented hoods have any form of built in water drains, or just open?
Old 11-01-2017, 12:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

They just have a wire mesh there....water drains right in, but they are also located a bit closer to the center of the hood than where most put the daystars. The underside support on 10A/hardrock hood is a bit different than the non-vented regular hoods. I've not installed those vents specifically.....so not sure if the cross support will hinder where you can or cannot locate them on the hood.

regular hood -

10A hood -
Old 11-01-2017, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

I can buy that 10A hood as a complete kit (part #82213656AC) from a dealership in NC for $716, but its 250 miles away from me.. Of course my local stealership wants $856 for the same part.. :(
Old 11-02-2017, 05:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by donbarnes
I can buy that 10A hood as a complete kit (part #82213656AC) from a dealership in NC for $716, but its 250 miles away from me.. Of course my local stealership wants $856 for the same part.. :(
Does that come painted? Round here you can buy the aftermarket hoods that are just like that for $325 or so....but not painted. That's a lot to pay though if you're just after some ventilation. I could never justify that even though they add a bit cooler look. If I was gonna pay for a hood, I'd get either than AEV hood or the TOTL Innovations hood myself. I think in terms of ventilation both of those are much better than the factory hood.

Alas....I just settled for the PSC cheese grater as $130 was more in my budget.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been thinking about the Daystar vents also. But when I looked under my hood I noticed that one would be right by the TCM and that concerned me.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by resharp001
.. the TOTL Innovations hood myself. I think in terms of ventilation both of those are much better than the factory hood.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been running them for four years. No complaints. Recommend going to Harbor Freight and buying a skin saw, makes the job super easy.

Quick Reply: Daystar Hood Vents?