Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer couldn't flash for larger tire size!

Old 12-28-2006, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is all very intresting, i was just at the my dealer and they too have a lifted jk that they did in-house (or subed a 4x4 shop to lift for them) and was told that the head technician was able to contact the "star" service whatever and they flashed the computer for the 35's what where installed. furthermore the service manager told me that it would be no problem to flash for the tires and it would cost me $95 to do so as it was not a warranty issue. (assuming the labor cost)
so once again i am either getting misinformation or half of these dealers don't know what the heck they are talking about.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by xravn
furthermore the service manager told me that it would be no problem to flash for the tires and it would cost me $95 to do so as it was not a warranty issue. (assuming the labor cost)
I would contact DC and ask if they are legit or not...............my assumption is that if all of these other customers are being told that they cannot flash for larger tires that your dealership is going to flash your's for 31/32's that come standard..........don't get taken from these dealerships, do your homework.

HTH
Old 12-29-2006, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

no doubt, that is why i posted what my dealer told me. so we can confirm whether it is out to really flash for 35" or if the dealers are confused. i am probably going to insist on talking to the head techinican and see if what he tells me about it whether it is the standard sizes or he can enter a size. i had read in another post somewhere that DC had enabled the ECU to be programed up to 35". that is what i need to confirm. also worth noting is i read the R&D department at DC originally wanted the JK Rubi in a 35" tire but was shot down. so maybe it was left in the comp the ability to set to that.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will regearing (once it is available) change the shift points back to the original setting? I guess I am wondering if the shift points are based on RPM's or the speedometer.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

I paid $85, today, to have the computer set to my new tires. My tires are 265/75 16, about 31's. They had no problem changing the tire size. The problem I ran into is when I wanted them to flash the computer for the recall. I was told that there was no recall.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

My dealer also cannot flash for my new tires. They said that the option they need in the ABS section is not available because the folks at DC have disabled it for my particular configuration. It only has the original stock tire size available for selection. Even though you can get a Rubicon 6 speed manual with 32's I can't select that size in my 6 speed, all I get is 225. The vehicle supplies the VIN info to the "Star" programmer and they can't lie to it. I put on 305 75R-16's and the good news is it runs fine with the 4:10 rear end. I have had traction control come on in a high speed wide turn, and a low speed tight turn. I blame the now false info in the ABS section but it's just a guess. I only drove it stock a week and it never engaged the traction control.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

At least my dealership haven't been officially notified about the recall, mine expects to see it the first week of February. He said they don't give much warning to the dealerships, though the press seems to know about it long before they do. Almost like the government.

Ron
Old 01-23-2007, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a TSB, not a recall. That might have been why they couldn't find it. But I think it's been mentioned that they are updating the TSB and it should be out in about a week or so again.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here are a couple notes on some of the stuff I read in this thread:

The TJ Rubicon's could not have the tire size changed to anything other than factory offerings. Teh Willy's edition was nto a Rubicon, it was an X model.

It is true that the dealer CANNOT change the computer to reflect tire settings other than that offered as stock by the factory.

This is your best bet: http://www.superlift.com/accessories/truspeed.asp

The other choice is the Dakota Digital SG5i, which I have heard is another good unit.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your dealer should be able to flash your computer by revolutions per mile of the tire . I had to give the R.P. M. to them i found it on tirerack.com

Quick Reply: Dealer couldn't flash for larger tire size!