Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble on 07 JK and Replacement 2.5 lift shocks and Suppliers?

Old 06-19-2018, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble on 07 JK and Replacement 2.5 lift shocks and Suppliers?

Howdy, as you might of seen my Middle Eastern JK has hit the UK and I've got it from it's long and dusty journey..

According to Paperwork it's got the 2.5 Rubicon Express Lift Kit (2015) - and also the most almighty Death Wobble now it's on UK roads!
See pics for underside shots...
Big issue to drive as it kicked in 6-10 times on a 40 mile journey into storage.

While most JK Videos say it's the Track Bar 95% of time - with elongated mounting holes and ball joints - my brother reckons the Shocks are shot.

The Lift was only done in 2015 and I believe it's only been on road during that time, except for me doing a couple of dune bashing episodes in Dubai - my questions then to those that are in the know here...

1. Would Shocks die in 3 years of on road use - in extreme heat though it has to be said - 30-50 deg C.
2. What replacement Shocks would you recommend to replace the 2.5 inch lift - and where should I get them from? It's got the Rubicon Express 2.5 inch lift kit on it
3. Any other things to definitely replace or check to iron out the wobble - happens every time on a potholes...

Thanks in advance for your techie support - plan is to sort the wobble then get it MOT'd and registered but first need to make it safe!
Couple of pics... Cheers

Current Shock is

Rubicon Express RXJ713 Shock - anyone know the replacement length or spec or alternative part numbers for a mid range shock?

Rear Suspension showing Lift Kit and Shocks

Front underside

Last edited by bluebossa; 06-19-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure what I am looking at when looking at the bottom photo. I cannot see the connection of your traction bar. On my 2010 when I lifted it, I had death wobble and had to add a bracket to the top of the axle for the traction bar. That eliminated the wobble.

As for shocks, I am not an expert, but I would think that they would last longer than three years. You can test them. When your Jeep is parked, push down one side of the front end compressing your suspension. Then release. If the bounce dampens in one or two bounces, then your shocks are fine. If it continues to bounce for four or five times, you need to replace them.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Unrelated to your DW question......looks like you do not have a raised TB bracket in the rear. You might want to look at that. It would help with your roll center. Also, on the front axle, are those cam bolts in the lower arms, or a cam bolt delete?

Not like RE shocks are best thing on the market. 3 years.....meh, maybe, maybe not. Should be easy to test though....either as above, or unbolt from the lower bracket. If you can compress that gas charged shock by hand easily.....it's a gonner. Shocks aren't the cause of the wobble though. I could possibly see if they were terrible it could in some fashion get a wobble triggered though.....but I would think they'd have to be egregiously bad. You really need to go through and inspect all steering components. If the roads are that bad over there......any pothole or bump as the potential to throw a gremlin in the system, which will then just reverberating around wreaking havoc on any weak spot it finds. Inspect track bar joints and bracket holes, ball joints as the main culprits as you have already read......DL and TREs are issues still, but to a lesser extent usually. Unit bearings and pitman arm even less so. Can't rule out actual steering box either, but less likely.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Bad shocks do not cause death wobble. A steering stabilizer will not help you either, it'll only mask your issues. If you really have death wobble, listen closely:

You need to check the following:
-Ball joints
-Track bar bushings/joints
-Track bar mount holes
-Tie rod ends on tie rod and drag link
-Control arm bushings
-Torque on everything (track bar is 125 ft/lbs, lower control arms are 125, uppers are 75, tie rod ends are technically 60 or 70...however, hand tight will suffice)

Cam bolts are bad news, I'd get rid of those asap. More likely than not your ball joints are toast. Luckily for you it's easy to diagnose: jack up a front tire, put a shovel or any sort of pole/leverage under the tire, and push up on the tire a few times while watching the ball joints for excessive play. Same deal with the steering: have someone turn the wheel left and right while you watch the joints/ends on the steering.

Good luck, and don't listen to your brother.

Last edited by BoraBora; 06-20-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble on 07 JK and Replacement 2.5 lift shocks and Suppliers?