JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Death Wobble after tire rotation?? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/death-wobble-after-tire-rotation-311197/)

Jeep305 10-02-2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Enjoytheride (Post 3990334)
The jury is in and the verdict is the tires are GUILTY AS CHARGED. . . . Out of balance!!

My mechanic (very knowledgeable) test drove the jeep first to get a feel for what I explained. He balanced the tires and without asking went completely over the front end to check for the typical causes of death wobble. The front end checked out find!! I drive a little over 100 mile this morning and all is good and tight!:thumbsup:

Just a quick question, probably common knowledge to some but a lot of people are not aware of. I'll try to explain my question the best I can. Have you removed the circular clips that press down over the lug nut stud? These "clips" for a lack of a better word are only used with factory wheels and placed on the Jeep during assembly to hold the drum in place until the wheels are installed. If these are not removed when new wheels are installed, it can cause vibration and possible serious damage as it has done to a couple of my buddies jeeps. I understand yours were out of balance but be sure the clips are pulled off as well if you haven't already.

'12 JK, 3.5 metal cloak, Miami Hurricane stuck in Baltimore....

AngryRedBird 10-02-2014 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep305 (Post 3990372)
Just a quick question, probably common knowledge to some but a lot of people are not aware of. I'll try to explain my question the best I can. Have you removed the circular clips that press down over the lug nut stud? These "clips" for a lack of a better word are only used with factory wheels and placed on the Jeep during assembly to hold the drum in place until the wheels are installed. If these are not removed when new wheels are installed, it can cause vibration and possible serious damage as it has done to a couple of my buddies jeeps. I understand yours were out of balance but be sure the clips are pulled off as well if you haven't already.

Hear, Hear.. Very Informative.. Well done.. I never knew this myself.. and I always wondered why my shop pulled the left rear wheel clips off and never replaced them after installing a new rotor and if I'm not mistaken, upon the last tire rotation.. I do recall 1, 2 or 3 wheels having these clips, thou not on all of the lug studs.

D3ADLY 10-02-2014 05:50 PM

I have the same problem shimmy between 35 - 40 mph right now steer a tire rotation. I been meaning to take it in for a tire balance but keep procrastinating. ><

sea bass 10-03-2014 07:34 PM

Same here! Only have 5000 miles on my km2&rsquo;s and am running 10oz of tire beads in each wheel. Everything was fine until tire rotation. Have a shimmy in my steering wheel from 40-50 and then goes away. It's not an up and down vibration, I only feel it in my steering wheel and it shakes back and forth quite a bit - I can also look out and see it in my tires. You can see the groove in tread wobble slightly. Most of what I've been able to read points to a ply separation problem. Not sure how to test for that, but I don't think it's a balancing issue for me since I have tire beads.

Soooo annoying!

AngryRedBird 10-04-2014 03:21 AM

Here's Our Update.

After Jeep305 suggested that the retaining clips be removed.. I recall having our left rear rotor replaced and at the time I didn't think anything of it.. But the mechanic removed these clips and and never replaced them.

Searching the web and number sites Nissan, GM and jeep have all suggested that these clips can be removed and not replaced.. So thanks to Jeep305 I've had a chance this morning to check my passenger side wheel. Once removed, It still had three of these clips on the lug studs.. the odd thing about this.. all three are located on the same side and not spaced out between the lug studs..

So now I have direction and I'm on a mission to remove all of these clips, then upgrade to the correct size bolts as suggested via Planman and other threads.

Footnote: Just an observation while removing these clips.. the OEM rotor more over the holes in the lug studs.. were not lined up very well. As if there could some play in the rotor as compared to the new rotor on the rear of the jeep. Which fits a bit tighter.. We will need to have our rotors and pad replaced soon and I'll make a note of this upon that time.

kjeeper10 10-04-2014 03:34 AM

FYI, the rotor clips are only a problem with aftermarket wheels that are not recessed where the clips sit.
Some aftermarket wheels are, some Are not. The wheels that are not will sit crooked on the hub face and cause issues.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed

Jeep305 10-08-2014 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3991157)
FYI, the rotor clips are only a problem with aftermarket wheels that are not recessed where the clips sit.
Some aftermarket wheels are, some Are not. The wheels that are not will sit crooked on the hub face and cause issues.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed

This is 100% correct! At the manufacturing plant, they don't install these clips in any order, they are installed in random places so that's why they could be placed skipping a stud or place in a row on three studs. Hell, I have clips on all five of the studs under one wheel..... Just remove them all and call it a day.

'12 JK, 3.5 metal cloak, Miami Hurricane stuck in Baltimore....

Rtwill78 10-08-2014 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Monte417 (Post 3989829)
Not sure I agree with this statement. A shimmy at a specific speed range (40/50mph) is the exact symptom of unbalanced tires. If you have a shimmy at all speeds that get worse the faster you go you may have other issues such as bad balljoints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings etc....Basicaly the opposite of what you said. Maybe someone can correct me if im wrong :dontknow2:

X2 Several times I've had balancing issues show themselves at specific speeds. :thumbsup: