Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble be the death of me!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death wobble be the death of me!

Already dealing with a busted gear to be fixed, but now driving back and forth from getting the gear issue diagnosed I started to have the death wobble. So much so I had to pull off the road because it wouldn't stop. And what's weird is that I thought I had similar wobble last week but then didn't notice it for a week and now today it is really bad - now the weird part - the first time was when we had our first cold front come through and of course today we have a cold front coming through. What the hell? Is their something that the cold weather is affecting that could cause this? This really sucks!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you've got something loose - take a look at this:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=death+wobble
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

Since I had it in the shop already getting a busted ring & pinion I had them look at the front too. The pitman arm was totally loose, trackbar had play, some worn out control arm bushings, and a few other components that needed tightening due to sloppiness. They also mentioned I needed new tie rods, upper and lower ball joints along with the pitman arm, trackbar, tie rods, and control arm bushings.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

wow - well, that would be the cause f your DW. that's a lot to wear out.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow, hearing this makes me really weary of letting a shop install my lift. i've always done all mods to any car i've ever owned my self, and this just solidifies the fact that if i have to buy tools to do it myself that's what i'll do. best of luck
Old 11-01-2011, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ray101381
wow, hearing this makes me really weary of letting a shop install my lift. i've always done all mods to any car i've ever owned my self, and this just solidifies the fact that if i have to buy tools to do it myself that's what i'll do. best of luck
Yeah, no idea who did the lift since I bought it that way. I guess the good thing is that I told them about the wobble and they knew exactly what to look for since they had dealt with that issue before. And as much as I would like to do it myself I don't have the time or experience (yet) in tackling this situation. Eventually I will, so just sucking it up for now and paying the labor costs too. Sucks!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeeeep
wow - well, that would be the cause f your DW. that's a lot to wear out.
No kidding. Altogether, along with a broken ring & pinion, was like a kick in da nuts!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

I guess when I get it back, I need to do my own inspection. And also check that everything is torqued to specs? Also, with regard to the parts that are needed, if their are recommendations I am listening.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeeeep
you've got something loose - take a look at this:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=death+wobble
Tools bought and checked things out.

I followed the checklist in that thread.

So far I found that the nuts for the tie rod ends at the ball stud were not torqued to spec, also the tie rod ends clamp, and at the drag link ball stud to knuckle. Tightened all those up and it drove so much better - had the smallest of wobble but it quickly went away. So far I am pretty happy with the results.

Still gonna get the other stuff done but I now know that this is something I can tackle in the future.

Thanks for everyone's input ! I feel much more competent in doing maintenance on my own, learned a lot along the way.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Freak

Check if your tires are still balanced. Especially if you have oversized tires.

I had mud stuck on one of my rims and I could not drive 1 mile on a paved old the wobble was so bad. Took mud off and it was back to normal.

Torque to spec always helps but don't forget your tires.

Quick Reply: Death wobble be the death of me!