Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble Question: Drag Link lift/non lift

Old 01-02-2017, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quadratec had the TF drag link on back order anyway (so canceled that order)

I found the synergy 8001 drag link at Northridge 4x4 (cheaper than the TF & got 27 bucks off w/ a coupon) even got the last one in stock!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

If you are getting true DW, I hope you went through ALL of your component (joints and bolts) and didn't just stop with the DL. A worn out DL should give you some pretty bad bump steer, but by itself should not lead to all out DW. If it is, it seems like you might have another bug in the system. I've had an isolated worn DL joint before, and if everything else is good, you'll get a solid yank/wiggle in teh steering wheel when you hit a pot hole or bump solidly, but that is definitely different from full on DW where it feels like all hell is breaking loose.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
If you are getting true DW, I hope you went through ALL of your component (joints and bolts) and didn't just stop with the DL. A worn out DL should give you some pretty bad bump steer, but by itself should not lead to all out DW. If it is, it seems like you might have another bug in the system. I've had an isolated worn DL joint before, and if everything else is good, you'll get a solid yank/wiggle in teh steering wheel when you hit a pot hole or bump solidly, but that is definitely different from full on DW where it feels like all hell is breaking loose.
I did a thorough inspection (while wife was moving the steering wheel) , just like the PLANMAN diagnostic videos - (PART 1) (PART 2) demonstrates.

My troubleshooting did NOT stop at the drag link issue.

You may also notice in the PLANMAN video - that he also traces it to the Drag Link end (which I just noticed now), he also finds other issues (ball joints).

Based on the confirmation of others (In this Thread) - I feel confident in my diagnosis.

I have a repeatable DW that has felt like it begins at the passenger side - while I didn't take this as my (seat of the pants diagnoses) it seems that given the wear at the drag link joint that this is the problem.

I definitely have DW (not bump steer), and it can increase in modulation (out of control) under certain repeatable (speed / turn / expansion joint) circumstances.

Last edited by bushpilot; 01-03-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by bushpilot
I did a thorough inspection (while wife was moving the steering wheel) , just like the PLANMAN diagnostic videos - (PART 1) (PART 2) demonstrates.

My troubleshooting did NOT stop at the drag link issue.

You may also notice in the PLANMAN video - that he also traces it to the Drag Link end (which I just noticed now), he also finds other issues (ball joints).

Based on the confirmation of others (In this Thread) - I feel confident in my diagnosis.

I have a repeatable DW that has felt like it begins at the passenger side - while I didn't take this as my (seat of the pants diagnoses) it seems that given the wear at the drag link joint that this is the problem.

I definitely have DW (not bump steer), and it can increase in modulation (out of control) under certain repeatable (speed / turn / expansion joint) circumstances.
Sounds like you've been through everything pretty good. Those videos are a great resource. I find myself aiming to hit a lot of bumps other cars are avoiding from time to time just to give the front end a quick test and make sure there's not an issue....LOL. I've got a nice test bump within a few miles of my house too.....hopefully the city doesn't fix it anytime soon!
Old 01-03-2017, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
Sounds like you've been through everything pretty good. Those videos are a great resource. I find myself aiming to hit a lot of bumps other cars are avoiding from time to time just to give the front end a quick test and make sure there's not an issue....LOL. I've got a nice test bump within a few miles of my house too.....hopefully the city doesn't fix it anytime soon!
man I don't know SQUAT thats why I come here for help.
I learned of the videos here - cause the problem has been driving me nuts Ive been AVOIDING driving the jeep because I couldn't determine where the issue was.

Ive got my (not so) favorite turns and expansion joints that I cringe at as I approach them right now!

Drag link is on the way, ill have it on by Saturday and if that doesnt solve the problem ill move onto the next item
Old 01-03-2017, 05:24 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by bushpilot
man I don't know SQUAT thats why I come here for help.
I learned of the videos here - cause the problem has been driving me nuts Ive been AVOIDING driving the jeep because I couldn't determine where the issue was.

Ive got my (not so) favorite turns and expansion joints that I cringe at as I approach them right now!

Drag link is on the way, ill have it on by Saturday and if that doesnt solve the problem ill move onto the next item
Well, those videos are like gold. If you've watched and absorbed the information, you have bout what there is out there. I've experienced DW first hand, and 2nd hand through few friends. My experience and what I have seen personally is that it takes more than just 1 bad joint to go in to full on DW. It seems to me various things like a bad DL or ball joint can trigger the wobble, but that there is another gremlin in the system that then facilitates it along and it grows exponentially from there. I've had a bad BJ, a bad DL, and a bad TB before....all separately, and all producing some odd effect that did not produce full on DW, but I've also had full on DW that happened to be a loose TB bolt and was triggered by a ton of mud trowning my wheels out of balance. The real problem is that once you have DW, it reaks havoc on every part and causes more damage. Anyhow, the steering system on our JKs is not rocket science, and you seem like you have a decent handle on it. I only make my comments based on my personal experience, not just what I've read of others', so take them with a grain of salt. If you've identified the DL as an issue, there is no doubt there is an issue there. I'd just say replace it and then remain particularly in tune with the jeep. Hopefully that alone fixes your issue. Please update with results so that others in the future might find the thread and see the result/resolotion. I know it's a little frustrating to research something, find a thread, and then it just dies without resolution.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:25 PM
JK Freak

my plan is to replace one part at a time until the issue is resolved.
This is my gateway toward lifting, but I want this issue resolved 1st, be for moving to further mods.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Default Update - source found/resolved

Its been a while & since the Jeep isn't a primary driver I wasn't in any hurry...
I methodically replaced each of the items one at a time, had everything realigned each time...

With the help of folks here I went with all Synergy Manufacturing components because using them will mean I can (further) lift the jeep and not have to buy these parts again.

1st I replaced the Drag link with the Synergy High Steer Drag Link, things did firm up but the problem wasn't resolved.

Next I replaced tie rod w/ Synergy's Heavy Duty Tie Rod, things REALLY improved and only in certain conditions could I induce DW (i.e. heavy/straight line breaking & hit a bump).

Only one thing left....the Drag link....which showed no wear using the tests in the video....but hey I'm gonna lift the jeep anyway (today its only got a TerraFlex Budget boost)....I pulled the (upgraded) grade 80 bolt outta the drag link and I could SEE the elongation or oval-ization of the drivers side mount.

I considered welding some hardened washers over the hole but didn't feel that would be long lasting.
I did some googling and discovered Synergy (Is that luck?) has a nice solution that goes over the Mount Point (no welding)...and certainly heavy duty built to last....

I added the Track Bar Brace and had the jeep aligned AGAIN....I mean this thing is some kinda SOLID now...Im AIMING for pot holes and bumps and its just rock solid (Im impressed).

I think if I ever ended up w/ another (new?) JK, I wouldn't even fool around - I'd put the Synergy Track Bar Brace on it as soon as I drove the (new) JK home!!!

Installing the Track Bar Brace is pretty easy, working slowly I did it in about 2 hours, in the garage, with air tools, but it would be easy to do with hand tools too.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

The one thing you need to watch for if you do much wheelin and get some articulation up front is that many front springs will contact and rub on that bracket right there it sticks out and where the sector shaft bracket would attache to. I finally removed my sector shaft brace and cut that section (tab) off.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just put a budget boost on my Jeep and I've been lurking in posts like this to basically build out a suspension upgrade list. Good info guys, the newbs like me appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Question: Drag Link lift/non lift