Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble Re-Revisited

Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep420
I checked the tie rod ends and ball joints per video by Planman. They are fine.

Do you think I should put the stock pitman arm back on?
The stock pitman arm is preferable. However, if you do not run the trackbar in the stock location, you will need to do a drag link flip and run 3" or taller front extended bumpstops.

The earlier post is mistaken about switching back to the stock pitman arm without switching back to the stock trackbar bracket holes.

If you change the angle of the drag link, you must change the angle of the trackbar. If you change one, independent of the other, you will have bumpsteer issues. The mounting points must be parallel.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Hey, Everyone.

Let me start by stating that I have read a TON about this already on the web, including the great write up by Way A Life, and I'm at a dead end. Any help/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

The wobble started after the install of a 4" Rancho Crawler on my 2011 JK Rubicon 2 door. Also added were 35" BFG KM on 17" MT Classic III's. The frustrating part is that I've installed the much cheaper 4" Rancho Sport Kit on an '07 unlimited and had NO issues whatsoever. The wobble occurs between 20-30 mph only when I hit bumps in the road (potholes, train tracks, etc.). Sometimes the wobble corrects itself, others I have to come to a complete stop.

Here's what I've done:Have had the tires balanced twice and rotated once. The guy at Discount Tire said that he wants to try hub centric rings. I don't know why, I never had to before.

Had two alignments done at two different shops. My caster angle is positive 5 deg. Wheels are set at toe in, I've read that toe out may help?

Loosened and retorqued all bolts at ride height three times. Once myself and twice at once each at two different four wheel shops.

Installed a Rancho high clearance steering stabilizer. Later found out the shock was bad, another is on the way. Still had the wobble with the stock stabilizer.

Had the ball joints inspected at a shop. They are tight and within tolerance.

Installed a Teraflex HD adj. trac bar. This did not help at all and I had to remove it because the drop pitman arm makes contact with it when the steering wheeling is turned all the way right.

Considered replacing the drop pitman arm back to stock but, the lift kit came with a trac bar relocation bracket (which I welded to the axel) raising the axe end.

Tried lowering the tire pressure down to 28 psi, no help. running at 34 psi now.

My JK has 45,000 miles on it and I have had the kit on for about 500 miles. Again, these problems occurred immediately after the install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
If you run aftermarket wheels without removing the stock lug retainer clips, this will cause a wobble/shimmy issue because the wheels cannot sit flush on the disc/hub mounting surface.

The Rancho bushings look to be polyurethane. It is possible that they could be from a bad batch.

The adjustable front upper arms have a flex joint with a jam nut. If the jam nuts were not tight enough, the threads may have been damaged in the tube/bung.

Drop pitman arms are notorious for twisting the sector shaft of the steering box. You may need to remove the pitman arm to inspect the sector shaft splines. Although, with a dry steering test like I show in video #2, you should usually be able to see/hear/feel play in the sector shaft of the box if something is damaged.

The lift may have exposed other issues. I explain in my write-up thread but do not show in the video how to inspect the unit bearings.

If the shimmy does not move with the tire rotation, it isn't the tires or the wheel balance.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DW has no set speed. A recurring wobble at a certain speed is an indication of either bad wheel balance, out of round tire or bent wheel.
If possible switch out to a different set of wheels to try and recreate the issue.
DW is not a product of rotating mass so is not tied to a specific speed. A tire wobble may initiate DW but again that could happen at any speed.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
DW has no set speed. A recurring wobble at a certain speed is an indication of either bad wheel balance, out of round tire or bent wheel.
If possible switch out to a different set of wheels to try and recreate the issue.
DW is not a product of rotating mass so is not tied to a specific speed. A tire wobble may initiate DW but again that could happen at any speed.
Falling to remove the lug retainer clips with either wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels also results in a speed dependent wobble/shimmy.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by planman

Falling to remove the lug retainer clips with either wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels also results in a speed dependent wobble/shimmy.
This is the simplest and most overlooked fix of a lot of people's wobble problems.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No lug retainer clips are present and the 9/16" bolts did not help.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Hey, Everyone.

Let me start by stating that I have read a TON about this already on the web, including the great write up by Way A Life, and I'm at a dead end. Any help/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

The wobble started after the install of a 4" Rancho Crawler on my 2011 JK Rubicon 2 door. Also added were 35" BFG KM on 17" MT Classic III's. The frustrating part is that I've installed the much cheaper 4" Rancho Sport Kit on an '07 unlimited and had NO issues whatsoever. The wobble occurs between 20-30 mph only when I hit bumps in the road (potholes, train tracks, etc.). Sometimes the wobble corrects itself, others I have to come to a complete stop.

Here's what I've done:Installed a Rancho high clearance steering stabilizer. Later found out the shock was bad, another is on the way. Still had the wobble with the stock stabilizer.

Installed a Teraflex HD adj. trac bar. This did not help at all and I had to remove it because the drop pitman arm makes contact with it when the steering wheeling is turned all the way right.

Considered replacing the drop pitman arm back to stock but, the lift kit came with a trac bar relocation bracket (which I welded to the axel) raising the axe end.

My JK has 45,000 miles on it and I have had the kit on for about 500 miles. Again, these problems occurred immediately after the install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
since this begin as soon as you installed this lift, I would venture to say your issues are centered around the track bar relocation bracket, which unfortunately you've already welded and that dropped pitman arm. I've seen this lift on a friends lift and 2 things, we removed the relocation bracket and the drop pitman arm was no good because the fit was not perfect - kept the stock pitman arm and installed a drag link flip.
the stock SS is fine and lowering tire pressure should never be a fix for true DW - you shouldn't have to mask the issue.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeeep
since this begin as soon as you installed this lift, I would venture to say your issues are centered around the track bar relocation bracket, which unfortunately you've already welded and that dropped pitman arm. I've seen this lift on a friends lift and 2 things, we removed the relocation bracket and the drop pitman arm was no good because the fit was not perfect - kept the stock pitman arm and installed a drag link flip.
the stock SS is fine and lowering tire pressure should never be a fix for true DW - you shouldn't have to mask the issue.
That is my thought too...
Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking at the kit you have and it looks like it doesn't even include an adjustable trackbar... Have you called Rancho? I can't believe that they would design a kit that is inherently flawed from the start causing you to buy other parts in order to make it work.

I'd call Rancho and try to work with them and if they can't figure out a solution see if you can return the lift... Then go buy RockKrawler or Metalcloak for roughly the same price...

Sorry to hear your having such bad luck.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkfanatic
I'm looking at the kit you have and it looks like it doesn't even include an adjustable trackbar... Have you called Rancho? I can't believe that they would design a kit that is inherently flawed from the start causing you to buy other parts in order to make it work.

I'd call Rancho and try to work with them and if they can't figure out a solution see if you can return the lift... Then go buy RockKrawler or Metalcloak for roughly the same price...

Sorry to hear your having such bad luck.
Thanks, bro.

I've used Rancho kits for years and never had issues. They are working with me, though. Not sure I agree with this but, they are convinced its the steering stabilizer. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Re-Revisited