Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble Re-Revisited

Old 05-08-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fact: u don't need a 4 inch to run 35's on a JK

IMHO: return the lift, go for something less drastic on the geometry OR throw down on a really good and complete lift
Old 05-08-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep420

Thanks, bro.

I've used Rancho kits for years and never had issues. They are working with me, though. Not sure I agree with this but, they are convinced its the steering stabilizer. We'll see.
Don't let them try and tell you a Steering Stabilizer will fix the problem. A properly set up front end requires NO stabilizer.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK

Don't let them try and tell you a Steering Stabilizer will fix the problem. A properly set up front end requires NO stabilizer.
I don't think he's implying that it will "fix" the problem. I think he's saying it IS the problem. That is different and has proven to be a source of the wobble in some cases.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm.. new one on me, I've never heard of or had a SS be the cause and resolution of DW - I can run fine without a SS it just helps with all the inconsistencies of the surface.
but that's my experience having owned many jeeps with various lifts.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 AM
JK Super Freak

If it is the SS causing the wobble (which not one part of me agrees with) then fully removing it from the jeep should make your problem go away.

If you still have DW without a SS, then a new SS isn't doing more than masking your problem.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKred
If it is the SS causing the wobble (which not one part of me agrees with) then fully removing it from the jeep should make your problem go away.

If you still have DW without a SS, then a new SS isn't doing more than masking your problem.
That's exactly what I did! After throwing parts at it and assuming the new Pro Comp stabilizer i had recently installed couldn't possibly be bad, I decided to take it off and drive it for a week without another issue. I took it to 4wheelparts and they agreed it was blown and exchanged it. No more problems! Funny thing is I only replaced the original stock SS because it was looking torn up and that's when the trouble started.

Sent from my NOTE II on Sprint using JK-Forum
Old 05-09-2013, 08:54 PM
xed
JK Newbie

Ou balanced the tires correct?

You said you put the lift on and around the same time bigger tires...

You don't have DW but rather a shimmy from hitting bumps.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Okay, the second stabilizer kit (RS97356) I received last Thursday also had a bad shock (RS5401). Very inconsistent and several gaps during cycling. I spoke with an engineer at Rancho and he did tell me that they had a bad run of stabilizers at the factory, improper oil fill. He had another one sent to me overnight direct from one of their warehouses. I cycled the new one, as before, and wow, what a huge difference! This shock was so much more tight in both directions!

I was still skeptical because of the band aid theory but, since I've installed it, the wobble is gone. Recap:

After I installed the lift, the wobble began with a stock stabilizer on. This wobble is still unexplainable but, probable because of a weak stabilizer.

With the Rancho stabilizer, the wobble became much worse. I believe this wobble was initiated by the inconsistent cycling of the bad stabilizer (resistance on extension with no resistance on compression).

Now that the third stabilizer is on, the issue is gone. I may be in denial of the actual true cause but, I'm just glad it's gone. If any further deterioration of my suspension and/or steering occurs (knock on wood), I will update this post.

At this point I'm going to chalk it up to an originally week stabilizer that was replaced by a defective one.

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Some good DW info

About a year ago I came across some information on DW. The article I found wasn’t on a Jeep web site and for the life of me I wish I had bookmarked it. Anyway, it had some diagrams and going by the way it was written I think the company that posted it knew what they were doing as the diagrams seemed very well laid out and quite scientific. It showed how raising the caster eliminates the chance of the wheel being able to wobble do to the tilt in the caster. They even loosened bolts and were still unable to achieve DW! Then they decreased caster by a lot and they could not get the DW to go away! Not my opinion it just seemed they knew what they were presenting and their tests seemed to back it up. I know increasing the caster in mine eliminated my bump steer and flighty steering, not DW but in the same area. I have my caster at 6* and it steers perfect.

Last edited by dave7200; 05-14-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

My caster is at 5.4deg.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble Re-Revisited