JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Deciding on Mesh Brief Tops (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/deciding-mesh-brief-tops-291708/)

Red Ruby 08 12-04-2013 07:28 PM

Deciding on Mesh Brief Tops

Hey yall!

I am trying to decide on which Mesh Brief Top I should get because warm weather comes soon down here in Georgia. I love the look and feel these tops have and I have narrowed it down to a total of three I am deciding between. They are:

1.) Smittybuilt Outback Extended Bikini Top (Cheapest)

Smittybilt Part 94500 - Outback Extended Bikini Top

2.) Best Top Header Safari Style Bikini Top in Mesh

Bestop Part 52581-11 - Header Safari Style Bikini Top in Mesh

3.) Rugged Ridge Pocket Island Top (Most Expensive)

Rugged Ridge Part 13589.35 - Pocket Island Top

If anyone has any suggestions, personal experiences, or comments please feel free to reply. I do not have my mind set on these three and am willing to go with another option if it presents itself. As always if you got pics, post them. Thank you so much for any help!

bigpooma 12-04-2013 07:45 PM

Can't go wrong with a Spiderweb shade trail mesh. Durable and quite a few colors to choose from.

ABENDX 12-04-2013 07:54 PM

Can your least expensive option beat 40.00?

Because for about that I can run over to my local hardware store and buy enough material to make five or more tops for 20.00... plus I'd need a grommet kit and some bungie ball thingies... maybe another 20.00 to complete all five tops. Now your milage may vary based upon how nice a mesh you end up buying.... so maybe you can only make three.

Split that cost up between three or five friends.... hmm, pretty inexpensive shade.

zstairlessone 12-04-2013 08:50 PM

I think the RR pocket island is a non-mesh top with mesh pockets in the front corners to put stuff like a mobile phone or something - that may be why it is so expensive.

cspradlin 12-05-2013 03:03 AM

Another +1 for the Spiderwebshade.

bilash31 12-05-2013 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Red Ruby 08 (Post 3775667)
Hey yall!

I am trying to decide on which Mesh Brief Top I should get because warm weather comes soon down here in Georgia. I love the look and feel these tops have and I have narrowed it down to a total of three I am deciding between. They are:

1.) Smittybuilt Outback Extended Bikini Top (Cheapest)

Smittybilt Part 94500 - Outback Extended Bikini Top

2.) Best Top Header Safari Style Bikini Top in Mesh

Bestop Part 52581-11 - Header Safari Style Bikini Top in Mesh

3.) Rugged Ridge Pocket Island Top (Most Expensive)

Rugged Ridge Part 13589.35 - Pocket Island Top

If anyone has any suggestions, personal experiences, or comments please feel free to reply. I do not have my mind set on these three and am willing to go with another option if it presents itself. As always if you got pics, post them. Thank you so much for any help!

I will give you my personal opinion after owning the RR top for my JK and many bestops for my other wranglers in the past. And now the spiderwebshade. Get the spiderwebshade. Or dirtydog4x4 has a similar sun shade. Reasons: a RR clip broke after using it for only like 4 times. I could never really get the top right enough to stop the constant flapping. You need a bulky (relatively) windshield retainer that awkwardly connects and isn't really designed well (well the one I had but I can't imagine others being that much better). The spiderwebshade connects easier. Stores easier. You can leave it on all the time (you don't have to remove it when putting top up-well except 2 elastic fasteners that take 2 seconds to put on or off). Caveat my experience is with a JK. I make have an unlimited but the front shade is the same. I am getting a dirtydog for the rear to compliment the spiderweb only because I don't like the one piece spider for a JKU. Dirtydog is a 2 piece. Overall either sunshade brand are way better (my opinion of course) than the bikini tops.

JV12 12-05-2013 04:24 AM

I have a spiderweb shade, and really like it. Just go to spiderwebshade.com and check out their products.

Jenks 12-06-2013 01:52 AM

Dirty Dog all the way

I just picked up a Dirty Dog 4x4 2 piece shade and love it! Excellent quality, and love the fact that it's easy to remove and install the hardtop with it on. I have a buddy with the 1 piece spiderweb shade, and while the quality is similar, his is rather difficult to remove and install the hard top. I also like that DirtyDog doesn't use bungies anymore. I can take some pics in the next couple days if you would like.

Sahara_Maverick 12-06-2013 04:12 AM

I use the Spiderweb mesh also. Quite good.

Only thing to pay attention to is that there's a 1in gap between the mesh and the rollbar that seems to annoy some folks. Therefore, you may want to take a look at one before deciding.

Red Ruby 08 12-06-2013 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick (Post 3777613)
I use the Spiderweb mesh also. Quite good.

Only thing to pay attention to is that there's a 1in gap between the mesh and the rollbar that seems to annoy some folks. Therefore, you may want to take a look at one before deciding.

that is my only problem with the spiderwebshade. However it is hard to go against all those good reviews