Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablosport Tuner vs regear for 2011 JK?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diablosport Tuner vs regear for 2011 JK?

I heard that Diablosport has a tuner available for the 2011 JK now.

I've been waiting for a tuner product to become available for my 2011 JK pretty well since I bought it back in Feb 2011. It's been so long waiting that I gave up on the idea.

Since then, I upgraded my 6spd/4:10 geared 3.8L with a Banks Monster exhaust system and Banks Ram Air cold air intake. That was good, but then I put a 4" lift with 35" tires on. I've really noticed the Jeep now has to work hard on the highway and I have to drop a gear or two to pass anyone.

I was planning on putting 4:88 gears some time this winter to get some of the punch back.

But now I'm wondering what would be a better option, gears or the tuner or maybe both??

I would love to hear the feedback from the JK FORUM community.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well you know what they say... " two parts are better than one"
Old 12-01-2012, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smashboogie 4x4
Well you know what they say... " two parts are better than one"
I like that answer but the wallet doesn't. It's needs some convincing.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

The tuner at best, will advance spark, add fuel etc. With low gains at 87 octane. To benefit any small amount, and I mean small..you'd need a 93 octane tune. ( More spark/fuel.)

I haven't looked at a stock a/f ratio/spark ignition on the JK's, so I cant say if the gain would benefit much at all. I bet it wouldn't. I would bet the best bet would be a, gear change and leave the stock settings. The Newer GM trucks have such a bad "stock" setting that a re-tune( Air fuel, spark) that with a 93 tune..they are getting good gains. ( 30-45 rwhp)

I doubt the jeep will offer that, and you'd have to go to 93 to see anything good. Gear it and love life.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep-creep
Gear it and love life.
Thanks for the great info. Score 1 for the regear.

Anyone else got something to add?
Old 12-02-2012, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CBrNoMore
I heard that Diablosport has a tuner available for the 2011 JK now.

I've been waiting for a tuner product to become available for my 2011 JK pretty well since I bought it back in Feb 2011. It's been so long waiting that I gave up on the idea.

Since then, I upgraded my 6spd/4:10 geared 3.8L with a Banks Monster exhaust system and Banks Ram Air cold air intake. That was good, but then I put a 4" lift with 35" tires on. I've really noticed the Jeep now has to work hard on the highway and I have to drop a gear or two to pass anyone.

I was planning on putting 4:88 gears some time this winter to get some of the punch back.

But now I'm wondering what would be a better option, gears or the tuner or maybe both??

I would love to hear the feedback from the JK FORUM community.
First you have to remember that 5th and 6th gears are overdrive gears. Not meant for quick acceleration to pass, but still doable. Now between a tuner and gears. Ideally you want to do gears first to relieve the extra strain on your drivetrain from the extra weight and rolling mass you added. Unless you can do the gears yourself it will most likely cost more to do gears than buy the tuner. Diablo claims 15 hp/18 tq on 87 octane, 18 hp/23 tq on 91 octane, and 20 hp\25 tq on 93 octane. You will be able to correct your speedo and other things that may help with the sluggishness. The choice is yours. My vote is to regear first. Then tuner.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a 2dr with auto 2010. I went with 34's and superchips reprogramer. I thought about gears but its bearable now. That pos 3.8 motor is the biggest problem. I could barely pass someone when I was stock. Gears will help but compare the costs and see what you can do. Regearing labor can get costly.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by blue project
I have a 2dr with auto 2010. I went with 34's and superchips reprogramer. I thought about gears but its bearable now. That pos 3.8 motor is the biggest problem. I could barely pass someone when I was stock. Gears will help but compare the costs and see what you can do. Regearing labor can get costly.
While the 3.8L engine may not be a beast of an engine, it is still quite adequate. The biggest problem is being in too high of a gear. So instead of using the transmission shifter to put yourself in proper gear, some will change out their axle gears to achieve the same. Go figure

I wouldn't waste my money on tuners. Have Superchips, can't feel a thing other than a 2-3 mpg drop on 91 tune.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Regear = running on a lower gear. Gain is 1st gear.
Run it in 5th or 4th, that'll be the same as a regear. Regear will give you lower crawl speed, much easier off-roading, and better acceleration from stop.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like regear is in the lead. I agree changing driving habits could help but the Jeep is still sluggish from a start too.

Quick Reply: Diablosport Tuner vs regear for 2011 JK?