Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diablosport Tuner vs regear for 2011 JK?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by time2eat
I have a 6 speed as well and do the majority of my driving on the highway. So you still noticed a nice improvement on the street and as well easier to pass and get up to speed on the highway? Would you compare it to stock now, less the gas mileage?
Its way better than stock. As far as around town I dont have to shift to 1st gear on turns anymore and I usually dont have a problem passing anyone . I had a guy in a stick shift honda civic tuner try to race me the other day and he was quite surprised that a lifted jeep beat him by a car length. Around here it seems that alot of people think that since Im lifted they have to get around me at lights cause Im slow ,they all have that surprised look on there face when they find they cant pass me and get stuck slowing down to get behind me. (ya I kinda drive like an ***hole when people try to pass me and cut me off). On the highway 65-75mph even in 6th gear I can still accelerate and if I down shift to 5th I can still pass people.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by a4x4high
Its way better than stock. As far as around town I dont have to shift to 1st gear on turns anymore and I usually dont have a problem passing anyone . I had a guy in a stick shift honda civic tuner try to race me the other day and he was quite surprised that a lifted jeep beat him by a car length. Around here it seems that alot of people think that since Im lifted they have to get around me at lights cause Im slow ,they all have that surprised look on there face when they find they cant pass me and get stuck slowing down to get behind me. (ya I kinda drive like an ***hole when people try to pass me and cut me off). On the highway 65-75mph even in 6th gear I can still accelerate and if I down shift to 5th I can still pass people.
Great explanation! I think 4:56's will be my best bet, especially since I plan on a hemi swap down the road in a year after I pay her off..
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by a4x4high
I had a guy in a stick shift honda civic tuner try to race me the other day and he was quite surprised that a lifted jeep beat him by a car length. Around here it seems that alot of people think that since Im lifted they have to get around me at lights cause Im slow ,they all have that surprised look on there face when they find they cant pass me and get stuck slowing down to get behind me. (ya I kinda drive like an ***hole when people try to pass me and cut me off).
Will you be surprised if I say that I can do the exact same thing with my 35's and 3.73 gears, auto? And not too long ago I was involved in some road rage with a douchebag in a minivan (sure it had way more ponnies than a Civic) on highway. He couldn't overtake me if his life depended on it. I was doing at least 85mph (never took it that fast prior to that). So, my point is, if you know what you're doing, you can get by with stock gears. Anyone who says otherwise, doesn't really understand what he's doing.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheTerminator

That's a good price in Canada. I just don't get the "from" part. A gear install is a gear install. Smells fishy.
Well, I decided to take the plunge and go for the gears first. I found out what the "from" meant. It's for older diffs that require an extra overhaul kit. Mine is a 2011 with low mileage, so I won't incur the extra cost. The Jeep goes under the knife Jan 2.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:46 PM
JK Freak

i also have a 2011 JKU , got a set of 4.88s sitting in my shop. waiting to pull the gun on install after getting back from my rotation in alberta. i have a diablosport trinity tuner but i can only adjust tire size. would the procal adjust for gear changes with my diablosport installed?? this is the only reason i would remove my diablosport tuner. power was ok, the best feature was jacking up the throttle booster to 20% over stock and with my 72mm throttle body my bottom end torques my 35s pretty good. but a regear will help my highway power for sure ! around 1400 for gears and install??? awesome! hope they do good work though.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well today is the big day. 4:88 gears are supposed to be installed today. I dropped off my jeep overnight and the shop will need 2 days to make sure everything is set up correctly. I'm already missing her but I can't wait to get her back.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by courtsm3
i also have a 2011 JKU , got a set of 4.88s sitting in my shop. waiting to pull the gun on install after getting back from my rotation in alberta. i have a diablosport trinity tuner but i can only adjust tire size. would the procal adjust for gear changes with my diablosport installed?? this is the only reason i would remove my diablosport tuner. power was ok, the best feature was jacking up the throttle booster to 20% over stock and with my 72mm throttle body my bottom end torques my 35s pretty good. but a regear will help my highway power for sure ! around 1400 for gears and install??? awesome! hope they do good work though.
I had the Procal, switched to Diablosport 2 weeks ago. I called Diablosport regarding the gear ratio change. The technician told me there was no need for it because the computer will calculate the correct transmission shift points based on the size and rotation of the tire. I really don't know if this is an excuse or it can actually be done like that, but I felt I like to be able to put in the gears that I know I installed instead of leaving it to a weird mathematical calculation. the only reason I do not go back to Procal is because the Diablo costed too much to dump it and I can adjust throttle settings on it. I'm thinking about emailing Diablo with the same question and see what response I get.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by makotoshishio
I had the Procal, switched to Diablosport 2 weeks ago. I called Diablosport regarding the gear ratio change. The technician told me there was no need for it because the computer will calculate the correct transmission shift points based on the size and rotation of the tire. I really don't know if this is an excuse or it can actually be done like that, but I felt I like to be able to put in the gears that I know I installed instead of leaving it to a weird mathematical calculation. the only reason I do not go back to Procal is because the Diablo costed too much to dump it and I can adjust throttle settings on it. I'm thinking about emailing Diablo with the same question and see what response I get.
it makes sense to me once you think about it, all the gears are doing is spinning up the rpms/wheels quicker am i right? the transmission will shift when it finds speed/throttle position to be appropriate. the jeep will be revving higher at highway speeds, but around town i wonder if it will hold rpms like OD/6th?? hmm.

btw i love my DS Trinity. great little tool with nice neat options. i notice power in the bottom end and around town, but I'm not sure if its worth the extra coin. i could of used the money for my gears instead. i would recommend to anyone looking to change tire size and all that, AEV is your best bet. ( in the 3.8 and 3.6 )

one thing I've noticed while playing around with my Trinity tunes, 91 tune , i lost mpg. i was getting 18-19mpg with my 87 tune, and right now I'm 17-17.5mpg with my 91. the expense/power ratio isn't worth it either. only a slight bump in bottom end around town. it would probably benefit from a hotter spark/ignition source.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well it looks like the gears won.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3537066765.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	405680

But I received a shipping notification on the Diablosport, so really it was a tie.

Quick Reply: Diablosport Tuner vs regear for 2011 JK?