Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did My Shocks Fail ??

Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had Bilstein 5100’s fail at 25,000 miles. They can definitely fail earlier than anticipated, and they can also be better quality shocks.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I'm back with a big "WTF" look on my face.

This afternoon I set out to do some of the simple tests shared with me in this thread, I pulled the Jeep out of the garage and figured I'd start with the easy 'jump on the bumper' test. Actually I just pushed hard on the right side of the bumper, then the left. Every time I pushed on the bumper I could hear some odd noises, almost like something rubbing against a loose part? The front end had an obvious "bounce", way more than should happen. Anyway, I gave it one last big push on the center of the bumper and the noise went away? Curiously I looked around at each shock, and to my dismay, this is what I found.

Did I say WTF already?

Left front shock

Right front shock
Old 02-07-2018, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

The nut is there, but the upper cupped washers are missing and the rubber bushing sheared off! How long ago were those shocks installed? Amazing!

Edit: I'm going to look in the shop -- May have an extra pair of washers and upper rubber bushings... Yep, PM if you don't have them.

Last edited by Mr.T; 02-07-2018 at 05:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ShawnInPaso (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Nah, all I see there are MOPAR's invisible shock extensions. Pretty amazing.....

So the shock body is down....and in the picture, those shocks are fully compressed with zero resistance? Toast.

Is the right spring really bowed that much, or is that maybe an optical illusion in the picture?
Old 02-07-2018, 05:42 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by resharp001
<snip>So the shock body is down....and in the picture, those shocks are fully compressed with zero resistance? Toast. </snip>
I better get my eyes checked -- Good observation!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Well, on the bright side.....that happened while in your driveway and not while driving on the road or out and about on a wheelin trip. Geesh....see something new every day.
ShawnInPaso (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr.T
The nut is there, but the upper cupped washers are missing and the rubber bushing sheared off! How long ago were those shocks installed? Amazing!

Edit: I'm going to look in the shop -- May have an extra pair of washers and upper rubber bushings... Yep, PM if you don't have them.
Hey Mr. T -

The shocks were installed by a dealer in 2011 when the Jeep was new (I bought it used with 7k miles on it in late 2012). That's mighty generous of you to offer up the washers and bushings. I'm thinking about new shocks after this, but I'll sure let you know. I'm wondering if the shocks may have been under sized for the lift and consequently finally gave up after being over extended).
Old 02-07-2018, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nah, all I see there are MOPAR's invisible shock extensions. Pretty amazing.....

So the shock body is down....and in the picture, those shocks are fully compressed with zero resistance? Toast.

Is the right spring really bowed that much, or is that maybe an optical illusion in the picture?
Hah - invisible indeed!

I think the image is skewed a bit, I'll have to look again in the morning though.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, on the bright side.....that happened while in your driveway and not while driving on the road or out and about on a wheelin trip. Geesh....see something new every day.
And I was just out on a trip to a remote area in our county doing some rather vertical stuff on sketchy dirt roads. All that bouncing would have been a disaster.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by ShawnInPaso
Hey Mr. T -

The shocks were installed by a dealer in 2011 when the Jeep was new (I bought it used with 7k miles on it in late 2012). That's mighty generous of you to offer up the washers and bushings. I'm thinking about new shocks after this, but I'll sure let you know. I'm wondering if the shocks may have been under sized for the lift and consequently finally gave up after being over extended).
Rubber and washers are here if you need them. Resharp's observation that the shocks are collapsed likely means they are bad, the only other possibility being that they are old fashioned non-pressurized hydro shocks. You might check the rears and see if they fully extend on their own.

The shocks almost certainly were designed to support the axle weight and spring force at full extension, don't think that could be the problem. Looks to me like what happened is that the top washers were not installed -- Which look similar to the ones on the bottom, and "sandwich" the rubber bushings. Without the force distributed over the washer it wore/sheared the upper rubber bushing.

Last edited by Mr.T; 02-07-2018 at 07:09 PM.
ShawnInPaso (02-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Did My Shocks Fail ??