Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

digital oil temp, oil pressure, transmission temp gauge?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default digital oil temp, oil pressure, transmission temp gauge?

Hi, I just finished installing a Hemi in my JK. Now I want to keep an eye on all the important pressures en fluid temperatures. There are a few apps mentioned on this forum, but I don't see one that reads the oil pressure.

Is there an app (prefer ios), or a stand alone device available which connects to the OBD port and gives this information? All other sensor info is nice, but not as important than monitoring the fluids.

Thank you,
Old 10-05-2014, 12:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Actual oil pressure in a stock (non-Hemi) 2007 JK is not monitored. It is monitored in some later years. For a stock 2007, you just have a good/bad pressure switch, and that signal is sent to the dash warning light. If you wish to monitor oil pressure, a stock 2007 JK owner would have to add an oil pressure sending unit (but there may be one on your Hemi). It would take some very serious engineering work to get that onto the Jeep CAN bus. If it is on the Jeep CAN bus because whoever did the Hemi install did that "serious engineering work", then you'll need to contact them for the PID codes for any changes they made to the Jeep's computer. The PID codes are entered into whatever app you might use, then you custom program the app for what that PID code is monitoring. I don't know a thing about iDevice apps--but Torque Pro for Android would allow this.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:20 AM
JK Freak

I would recommend an edge insight CTS it's an expandable monitor that plugs into the obd and uses the same hardware as a superchips trail dash so there are mounts made specifically for the jk for it, if it will not monitor oil pressure out of the box you can buy a pressure sending unit and install it and monitor with the CTS
Old 10-05-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Actual oil pressure in a stock (non-Hemi) 2007 JK is not monitored. It is monitored in some later years. For a stock 2007, you just have a good/bad pressure switch, and that signal is sent to the dash warning light. If you wish to monitor oil pressure, a stock 2007 JK owner would have to add an oil pressure sending unit (but there may be one on your Hemi). It would take some very serious engineering work to get that onto the Jeep CAN bus. If it is on the Jeep CAN bus because whoever did the Hemi install did that "serious engineering work", then you'll need to contact them for the PID codes for any changes they made to the Jeep's computer. The PID codes are entered into whatever app you might use, then you custom program the app for what that PID code is monitoring. I don't know a thing about iDevice apps--but Torque Pro for Android would allow this.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. I need to change my avatar, because I recently bought a 2011 JK to put a 6.1 Hemi in, which I installed myself. I have to do a search if the Hemi has a oil temp sensor, but I assume it does.

I've heard about the Torque app, but I only have ios devices right now.
Old 10-05-2014, 05:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennisr
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info. I need to change my avatar, because I recently bought a 2011 JK to put a 6.1 Hemi in, which I installed myself. I have to do a search if the Hemi has a oil temp sensor, but I assume it does.

I've heard about the Torque app, but I only have ios devices right now.
My 2014 has that in the EVIC. But you can install an aeroforce gauge in the OBDII port and it will read all that and more. It's nice to have the gauges, my wife's 2012 doesn't have them either. I also have a Hemi in mine.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
I would recommend an edge insight CTS it's an expandable monitor that plugs into the obd and uses the same hardware as a superchips trail dash so there are mounts made specifically for the jk for it, if it will not monitor oil pressure out of the box you can buy a pressure sending unit and install it and monitor with the CTS
I contacted Edge and asked them about the possibilities for a 2011 JK with a Hemi. They said that they have no experience with this setup and therefore don't know what can be monitored.

I'm not spending 400$ for a couple of gauges if I'm not sure they work on my JK.

Quick Reply: digital oil temp, oil pressure, transmission temp gauge?