JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   DIY Rigid Industries Tail Light Brackets (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/diy-rigid-industries-tail-light-brackets-308133/)

ccgagnon 07-29-2014 07:51 PM

DIY Rigid Industries Tail Light Brackets

5 Attachment(s)
Rigid Industries puts out some extremely great products but I have a hard time paying their price. I wanted some brackets for my LED floods to mount on top of my tail lights. Here's my solution that I made from 1 & 1/2 inch aluminum angle stock from Home Depot (Approx $17.00). I also had a can of black textured paint, but I did have to purchase a rivet gun and some 3/16" rivets (Approx $20). I still have enough stock left to make 7 more brackets!!!!!

As far as wiring goes i just tapped into the existing back up lights. I do plan to use a relay, come off the battery, and make it switchable from within the cab as soon I build my DBox.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.
Attachment 568269Attachment 568270Attachment 568271Attachment 568272Attachment 568273

ccgagnon 07-29-2014 07:55 PM

DIY Rigid Industries Tail Light Brackets - Pics Continued

4 Attachment(s)
PICS Continued:Attachment 568278Attachment 568279Attachment 568281Attachment 568282

Chronotripper 07-29-2014 10:35 PM

Nice job! Now just find another use for that rivet gun, otherwise you ended up paying nearly as much as you would have for the brackets to begin with. :rotflmao2:

Mountain Man Tim 07-29-2014 10:38 PM

looks good, did you remember to seal the wire that goes into the tail light box and the rivet points against leaking a ton of water into the light box?

FDHog 07-30-2014 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chronotripper (Post 3958596)
Nice job! Now just find another use for that rivet gun, otherwise you ended up paying nearly as much as you would have for the brackets to begin with. :rotflmao2:

Tools are never a waste of money!
I bought a large rivet gun just so I didn't have to pay dealer prices to put in the Mopar hood lock. I've already installed 4 of them for friends and family.

ccgagnon 07-30-2014 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim (Post 3958597)
looks good, did you remember to seal the wire that goes into the tail light box and the rivet points against leaking a ton of water into the light box?

I not sure if I need to seal the rivets or wire holes because I didn't invade the sealed compartment where the light bulbs sit. There is a slim space between the outer plastic and the light bulb compartment. I ran the wire out through that slim space and tapped into the wires that are readily accessible. I think if water leaks into the taillight it will just drain out through the cavity behind the tail light which is open-ish to the bottom. If it becomes a problem, I will have to cut the rivets, seal it, and re-rivet the bracket.