Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on front drive shaft

Old 09-24-2018, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on front drive shaft

i installed a 3” teraflex suspension lift about 4 years ago and used the stock front DS. I just found out my rubber boot at the transfer case end is trashed and my shop recommended an upgraded drive shaft with regular u joints on both ends. I’m seeing a ton of shafts online, and I’m not sure which type of joint would be better. I’ve also seen a repair kit for the oem shaft. I’m pretty much convinced i need to go with a longer one, so any advise would help. I’m looking at the Pro Comp 55827B. Anyone have any experience with this one? Thanks

Last edited by dynadave; 09-24-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

why not find a local shop to build you one. You got to have them all over the east coast.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Most people will install a double cardan (CV style) drive shaft. The model you mention is non CV style. With the angles you're running, you're going to want a CV joint. Tom Woods has a good write up that explains things if you're not certain what the heck a DC drive shaft is -

Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Driveline 101

There are numerous DS manufacturers out there, and you are just as well off having a local shop build you one as Dirtman suggests if that is more economical. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. DS is a pretty basic component so it's really just about price unless you want a fancy sticker/name on it just because. A couple things for you to think about might be buying something with a solid u-joint vs. serviceable, and if you want to mount to the factory pinion flange or replace that with a new pinion yoke.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
why not find a local shop to build you one. You got to have them all over the east coast.
We do have at least a couple of local shops, I’ve never dealt with them. I usually buy stuff from 4 Wheel Parts. They have a local store now, but their expertise is hit and miss, mostly miss for some reason. I think I will give one of the indy’s a call. Thanks.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Most people will install a double cardan (CV style) drive shaft. The model you mention is non CV style. With the angles you're running, you're going to want a CV joint. Tom Woods has a good write up that explains things if you're not certain what the heck a DC drive shaft is -

Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts - Driveline 101

There are numerous DS manufacturers out there, and you are just as well off having a local shop build you one as Dirtman suggests if that is more economical. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. DS is a pretty basic component so it's really just about price unless you want a fancy sticker/name on it just because. A couple things for you to think about might be buying something with a solid u-joint vs. serviceable, and if you want to mount to the factory pinion flange or replace that with a new pinion yoke.

Thanks, that clears things up a lot. I don’t have a problem with something off the shelf, I just want to make sure it wont blow out like the oem ds. I think the guy I talked to was talking about the double cardan shaft, but I thought he just meant a u-joint on each end. So now I know. I am gonna call an independent shop though. 4 Wheel Parts will be at least a week out to get one in.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You could also rebuild that joint with the Teraflex high angle rpezza -

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/d...UaAhGHEALw_wcB

It just depends on which way you want to go. Many people need or want the additional clearance that the aftermarket shafts provide. If you have no issues with the thickness of the factory shaft, and it suits your needs, maybe the TF rpezza would be a cheaper and viable option for you.

Also, you can easily pull that front DS off for the time being and drive around without one, so time is on your side. It's only 4 bolts at the axle flange, and 8 small bolts at the TC side. If you do this, unbolt the axle side first, that way you can rotate the DS as you go to gain clearance to all the TC side bolts.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Do some checking. When I was in the market for a front shaft, I found that my local driveline shop was significantly more expensive than ordering one. Tom Woods, Adams, Coast, and JE Reel are a few of the more popular choices.

Know whether you will need to swap the flange/yoke, or if it will bolt right up. Pay attention to the type of joint, there are pro's/con's to sealed vs grease-able. (if it has grease zerks, you will likely be pulling it off to grease the ball...) As mentioned, Tom Woods website has a lot of info to read through in both the Jeep JK and the Tech Info areas.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago, ordered an Adams one. No issues, straight forward install. I ordered it straight through Adams online.

If you rebuild what you have, it will probably do the same thing again.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Well, I called a local shop to see what it would cost to have them fabricate a ds, and they recommended an Adams 1310 cv shaft, so I got them to order one for me. Should be here in a week. Looking at the Adams website it looks like they only added $10 to the cost, so I can live with that. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You may check on Northridge4x4 real quick using discount code JKFORUM. That unit should be discounted, so the difference may be larger than the $10 you originally thought. Sometimes local shops are cheaper, sometimes they aren't.

**Northridge just posted a PUMPKINSPICE discount code for "up to" 15% off. The percentage off though always varies by manufacturer.**

Last edited by resharp001; 09-25-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Need advice on front drive shaft