Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you still use a shade?
Yes. I use it often
68.89%
Yes. I use it every once in a while
4.44%
No. I do not use it anymore
8.89%
I have never owned a shade
17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Do you still use a shade?

Old 04-13-2017, 07:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spiderweb Shade ALL DAY!!! Best $90 I've spent so far. I wait until July-ish to put mine on. I like to get a little sun on me before the temps hit the upper 90s in TN. It is at least 10° cooler under that thing as well. Probably more. Helps with wind noise too. Maybe even a gain of 2-3 mpg. Jk on that last one
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Bartact (Trekarmor) shade and it stays on whether soft or hard top is on. Like the other guy said, the Texas sun is nothing to mess around with.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cool little added bonus... I store my softop windows in a storage bag and stuff it in between the shade and the softop above. I rarely put the softop down, but my rear windows are out quite a bit. Storing them up there keeps them out of the way and with me on the go.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

I take mine off in the winter and put in on in late May June. It stays on the in summer months.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a water resistant bikini instead....we get too many afternoon thunderstorms..... I need a shade, but like it to keep water off my head when it rains.....
Old 04-14-2017, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by majorbanjo
I bought a water resistant bikini instead....we get too many afternoon thunderstorms..... I need a shade, but like it to keep water off my head when it rains.....
Which one did you buy? I know all about our Georgia daily showers, but none of what I found on line looked good enough to keep the Jeep dry.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

I run the Dirty Dog 2 piece all the time with both the soft top and hard top. They updated their design a few years ago to straps rather then Velcro around the sound bar now. It's been on for 4 years or so now with put ever coming off. I love that when using a hardtop you can still access the locks on the freedom panels in the middle and just reattach the footman loops. Also as stated I usually remove my windows and throw them in between the rear and the shade and then flip the sunrider. I have had mine for a long while in red and it's just now starting to fade slightly.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems that Rugged Ridge is the only one that advertises that it can be left in place with the hardtop. Can you easily leave the Spiderweb shade and others on with a hardtop?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandell
Seems that Rugged Ridge is the only one that advertises that it can be left in place with the hardtop. Can you easily leave the Spiderweb shade and others on with a hardtop?
Yes. You just need to remove the front 3 small bungee cords.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a SWS and it goes on and off.

Takes 2 minutes if at all.

I do this for a few reasons:
1. Doesn't leave marks and permanent marks from bungees on my roll bar covers
2. I don't always want it on, usually only in super hot and sunny with wife and kiddies in with me on longer trips
3. This only happens June, July and august.

I prefer complete nakedness.

I have been known to use it as a storage net and stuff surfboard and boogie boards between SWS and sound bar/rear roll cage and soft goods bungied on top like blankets, etc.

Works great for that.

Quick Reply: Do you still use a shade?