JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Does this synthetic winch rope look ok? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/does-synthetic-winch-rope-look-ok-300745/)

jckid 04-05-2014 03:10 PM

Does this synthetic winch rope look ok?

I finally decided on a front bumper and a winch. I went with the LoD Armorlite and the Warn M8000s. Last week we mounted the winch to the bumper, and today installed the synthetic rope. But as the rope was spooling in, I saw two areas that have me concerned. I emailed Northridge pictures, but since it's the weekend and they're closed, I thought I'd see what you guys thought in the meantime. I'm sure I'll hear back from them on Monday. So, do you think these two areas are defects, or does it look ok? This is my first winch, so I really don't know, but it doesn't look quite right to me.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-c...152506_040.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-5...153539_593.jpg

road_king 04-05-2014 03:51 PM

Me either!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SIDsjeep 04-05-2014 04:11 PM

That appears to be burnt or severely chaffed. I'm in the uscg and work with line all the time. If there is a Knott in the line the breaking strength is reduced by 40 or 50 percent not including the amount of damage shown there. That is not good what you have shown in the pic. That line will part (separate) under load. I would not use it at all. Now being that it is synthetic you could repair it if your feeling up to it and have some simple line tools. Ie marlin spike , sail needle, knife and torch. You would want to cut the effected area and do a straight splice. YouTube some videos or DM me if you'd like

jckid 04-05-2014 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by SIDsjeep (Post 3880472)
That appears to be burnt or severely chaffed. I'm in the uscg and work with line all the time. If there is a Knott in the line the breaking strength is reduced by 40 or 50 percent not including the amount of damage shown there. That is not good what you have shown in the pic. That line will part (separate) under load. I would not use it at all. Now being that it is synthetic you could repair it if your feeling up to it and have some simple line tools. Ie marlin spike , sail needle, knife and torch. You would want to cut the effected area and do a straight splice. YouTube some videos or DM me if you'd like

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling when i saw it that it wasn't right. Since it's brand new I'm hoping Warn will cover it as a defect. Bad thing is I'm supposed to leave Thursday on a trip. I hope I can get this addressed in time.

robsjeep9 04-05-2014 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by jckid (Post 3880493)
Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling when i saw it that it wasn't right. Since it's brand new I'm hoping Warn will cover it as a defect. Bad thing is I'm supposed to leave Thursday on a trip. I hope I can get this addressed in time.

Mine looked like that from another company still worked great on a dozen pulls before a new one was shipped to me :) still using the old one lol

SIDsjeep 04-05-2014 04:41 PM

Well if I was the op I wouldn't use that and rely on it with my professional opinion. What I would do is see if warm wants it back if not id fix it with a straight splice and use it as an extension on long pulls. Basically put two spliced eyes on each end

easttnruby 04-05-2014 04:47 PM

For what synthetic lines are running, I wouldn't accept that at all. If they don't make you send it back, I would def repair that before you use it. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to do it. Not too hard.

jadmt 04-05-2014 04:48 PM

I bought a new Warn Spydura line and spooled it on yesterday and mine had no flaws. I would have sent that back before I even spooled it on if mine was like that. I am amazed at how light and supple the new line is.

jckid 04-05-2014 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3880510)
I bought a new Warn Spydura line and spooled it on yesterday and mine had no flaws. I would have sent that back before I even spooled it on if mine was like that. I am amazed at how light and supple the new line is.

This is a Spydura line that came with the winch. I didn't even take it out of the bag until we were ready to put it on. I guess we'll just take it off now. I was hoping everyone would say it was OK, but I had a feeling it wasn't. I don't think we could fix it. I'm not confident and my husband just had carpal tunnel surgery, so he's not able to use that hand for much of anything right now. I bought a Warn and spent a little extra , because I thought it was the best brand. More than a little disappointed right now...

Rubicon John 04-05-2014 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by jadmt (Post 3880510)

X2

I recently added the M8000 with Warn's Spydura line and it was perfect out of the box. I'd be really upset if that's how it came from the factory.

I gave my wife my 5 year old XRC-8 winch with Smittybilt's synthetic line (about a year old) and it looks better than that after being used a few times.

Hopefully, Warn will make it right for you without any hassle.