Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this synthetic winch rope look ok?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jckid
I finally decided on a front bumper and a winch. I went with the LoD Armorlite and the Warn M8000s. Last week we mounted the winch to the bumper, and today installed the synthetic rope. But as the rope was spooling in, I saw two areas that have me concerned. I emailed Northridge pictures, but since it's the weekend and they're closed, I thought I'd see what you guys thought in the meantime. I'm sure I'll hear back from them on Monday. So, do you think these two areas are defects, or does it look ok? This is my first winch, so I really don't know, but it doesn't look quite right to me.
I bought a winch with synthetic line from Bulldog and found a section that looked similar to your pix... I sent them a pix and within a week I received a new line ( heavier grade than the original) and I got to keep the old line for whatever....
Old 04-05-2014, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same setup as you. I installed my M8000S on my ArmorLite about 2 weeks ago. The line was perfected except I was missing the protective sleeve. I called Warn and had it within a week.
I wouldn't accept the line the way it is. Call Warn and send them a pic. They should make it right.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Good news!

Well I have some good news. We just got home and pulled the winch rope off. The two spots looked quite different after being spooled up and unspooled. I got out a magnifying glass and took the rope in into a room with good lighting. It appeared that both spots were actually threads that got caught in the rope when they made it. We could see that they were wrapped very neatly around a strand of the rope. We were actually able to pull them free without too much effort and the rope where they were attached looked just fine under the magnifying glass. So I think it was just bits of extra thread that got caught when they made it. Here's a pic of one of them removed (my camera wouldn't focus very good zoomed in that far):

So I think the rope is fine, but it about caused me a nervous breakdown for a bit.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

This is a Spydura line that came with the winch. I didn't even take it out of the bag until we were ready to put it on. I guess we'll just take it off now. I was hoping everyone would say it was OK, but I had a feeling it wasn't. I don't think we could fix it. I'm not confident and my husband just had carpal tunnel surgery, so he's not able to use that hand for much of anything right now. I bought a Warn and spent a little extra , because I thought it was the best brand. More than a little disappointed right now...
Contact whomever you bought it from, send them a photo...if they don't rush you a new one let us all know who it was!

i had my new winch get shredded the first time it was used because of an overly long screw and the trail guide coiling it up very lopsided

I got it replaced immediately with no problem, and I did use it 3 times during that weekend Jamboree with no problems.

matthew
Old 04-06-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

I was just about to suggest doing exactly what you just did.
It happens on occasion with us too.
Glad it was something simple.

Well I have some good news. We just got home and pulled the winch rope off. The two spots looked quite different after being spooled up and unspooled. I got out a magnifying glass and took the rope in into a room with good lighting. It appeared that both spots were actually threads that got caught in the rope when they made it. We could see that they were wrapped very neatly around a strand of the rope. We were actually able to pull them free without too much effort and the rope where they were attached looked just fine under the magnifying glass. So I think it was just bits of extra thread that got caught when they made it. Here's a pic of one of them removed (my camera wouldn't focus very good zoomed in that far):

So I think the rope is fine, but it about caused me a nervous breakdown for a bit.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by custom splice
I was just about to suggest doing exactly what you just did.
It happens on occasion with us too.
Glad it was something simple.
That's great news!

Nothing worse than false alarms and undo stress...
Old 04-06-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

I know the feeling,
We try and catch them when we can, but its hard to catch them all.

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
That's great news!

Nothing worse than false alarms and undo stress...

Quick Reply: Does this synthetic winch rope look ok?