Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drastic steering issue

Old 02-09-2018, 10:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Just getting the steering wheel straightened will solve a world of hurt. You can drive it with lower than ideal caster.....shoot, most lifted jeeps on the road are rolling like that.....but, you'll notice a big difference once your caster does get corrected. If by chance you still get the esc lights after the alignment, time to start looking at the speed sensors.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Just getting the steering wheel straightened will solve a world of hurt. You can drive it with lower than ideal caster.....shoot, most lifted jeeps on the road are rolling like that.....but, you'll notice a big difference once your caster does get corrected. If by chance you still get the esc lights after the alignment, time to start looking at the speed sensors.
The alignment is done to get the steering wheel straight, honestly it wasn' much improvement at all. There is still a ton of play between turning left and right. Like to get any response at all turning right the wheel needs to be turned past 1:00, possibly even close to 2:00. I just received the procal and set everything for the 35's so hopefully that will help slightly as well. The steering is just horrible though and I'm honestly considering taking the entire kit off the front and reinstalling myself to see what happens.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

No more lights lit on the dash though right? Thinking something is wrong in the steering box itself? The suspension lift isn't going to have some big impact on the steering.....not to the extent you are describing.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
No more lights lit on the dash though right? Thinking something is wrong in the steering box itself? The suspension lift isn't going to have some big impact on the steering.....not to the extent you are describing.
once I install the brackets I'll know wether there' any improvement or not. If not first I will take the steering stabilizer off. If nothing helps it will be time to buy a good steering box.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 16blackUS

I just looked underneath again. He definitely did the cheap 3.5 lift as the control arms are factory still. Rough country does offer the more expensive kit that includes them but this was not that kit. I ordered the aev and the shop doing the alignment this morning told me they can' help my issue at all until those brackets are installed.
In regards to your steering, definitely pull off that SS to see if it helps if it still doesn't feel right after geo brackets and alignment.

One other thing to consider, before buying a replacement steering box, I think we've all been assuming the turned steering wheel is just likely due to the added lift and the PO not adjusting the drag link since that's the most common and reasonable assumption.

However, if by chance the PO actually replaced the drag-link then they could have installed it improperly which could lead to similar issues as you described.

The proper way to install a drag link is as follows.
1. Make sure your steering wheel is in the default/center position (more so that the pit-man arm is in the correct position)
2. Make sure your front wheels are straight (not turned).
3. Adjust the length of the drag-link as close as possible to the stock length
4. Install drag link
5. With wheels still not turned, adjust drag link adjuster so that steering wheel is centered.

Some people make the mistake of missing the 1st, 2 steps when installing the DL, where their wheels or steering is turned and they end up with a similar situation as you're describing where the steering amount is different between turning right and turning left.

Last edited by Rednroll; 02-09-2018 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I just looked underneath again. He definitely did the cheap 3.5 lift as the control arms are factory still. Rough country does offer the more expensive kit that includes them but this was not that kit. I ordered the aev and the shop doing the alignment this morning told me they can' help my issue at all until those brackets are installed.
Before you start throwing money and parts at it, take a close look and determine what is actually there.

And, it does, or does not, have the dropped pitman and front trackbar bracket installed? (I can sort of see the pitman in this pic, but can't really tell...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-09-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Before you start throwing money and parts at it, take a close look and determine what is actually there
Dang good eye there....
Old 02-09-2018, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Before you start throwing money and parts at it, take a close look and determine what is actually there.

And, it does, or does not, have the dropped pitman and front trackbar bracket installed? (I can sort of see the pitman in this pic, but can't really tell...)
Thanks for noticing that. As you can tell I'm no jeep expert. I'e lifted three of my Silverado's myself, but they were completely different beasts compared to this and very simple actually. I'l get some more pics and hopefully get a bit of advice on where to start trying to fix this mess. Thanks guys, I was trying to avoid taking it to a 4x4 shop and spending crazy money on what can hopefully be a simple fix.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for noticing that. As you can tell I'm no jeep expert. I'e lifted three of my Silverado's myself, but they were completely different beasts compared to this and very simple actually. I'l get some more pics and hopefully get a bit of advice on where to start trying to fix this mess. Thanks guys, I was trying to avoid taking it to a 4x4 shop and spending crazy money on what can hopefully be a simple fix.
please refer to my previous comment of not knowing Jeeps before reading my stupid question. Will that cam bolt allow me to adjust camber or caster?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

It adjusts caster, but out of the 3 available methods of doing so, it's the worst one.

Quick Reply: Drastic steering issue