Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drastic steering issue

Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
It adjusts caster, but out of the 3 available methods of doing so, it's the worst one.
ok then I will not cancel my aev order then. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2018, 11:54 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Do a quick search on 'cam bolt eliminator'. Basically just thick washers you place over the holes when you remove the cams. Welded, or not.

And I think you mentioned bumpsteer earlier in the thread. Let us know about the stock pitman / drop pitman, and whether there is a trackbar bracket. (could be hanging down from the frame side, or raised from the axle side. I think they offered both at various times)

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-09-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Do a quick search on 'cam bolt eliminator'. Basically just thick washers you place over the holes when you remove the cams. Welded, or not.

And I think you mentioned bumpsteer earlier in the thread. Let us know about the stock pitman / drop pitman, and whether there is a trackbar bracket. (could be hanging down from the frame side, or raised from the axle side. I think they offered both at various times)

Maybe you guys can see something obvious with these, I haven't been able to yet.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

From that angle, it looks like a drop pitman, but ...

What does the other end of the trackbar look like. Pic 1 and 13 show the factory bracket, and the installed raised bracket.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountr...l/92160900.pdf

So anyway, what we are looking at here is flattening the angle of both the trackbar and draglink. The preferred method is to raise both from the axle. (axle side trackbar bracket, and moving the axle end of the draglink to the top of the knuckle.)
The cheap method is to lower the frame side with a drop pitman, and either lower the trackbar from the frame or raise and move in from the axle. This method isn't as well recieved, with comments that it messes up the 'planes they travel in', or some similar phrase.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-09-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

From that angle, it looks like a drop pitman, but ...

What does the other end of the trackbar look like. Pic 1 and 13 show the factory bracket, and the installed raised bracket.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/roughcountr...l/92160900.pdf

So anyway, what we are looking at here is flattening the angle of both the trackbar and draglink. The preferred method is to raise both from the axle. (axle side trackbar bracket, and moving the axle end of the draglink to the top of the knuckle.)
The cheap method is to lower the frame side with a drop pitman, and either lower the trackbar from the frame or raise and move in from the axle. This method isn't as well recieved, with comments that it messes up the 'planes they travel in', or some similar phrase.
Other side

Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 16blackUS
Other side
sorry, the pic doesn't show the track bar bracket well but it is installed per the instructions from RC
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Good deal, always helps to know what parts are installed.

So, start with centering the steering wheel, if you haven't already. A wrench and 5 minutes of your time is all it should take. loosen two bolts, twist the turnbuckle until the wheel is straight, tighten the bolts again. Then go for a drive and see if the computerized nanny still kicks in on turns.

Then post the Caster and Toe specs when you get the alignment. One note is that most shops will set caster to factory spec, and many people like going a bit higher after a lift. Instead of factory 4.2 degrees, it is not uncommon to go up to 5 or sometimes even 6 (depending on height and preferences). Don't know how much play you'll have with the cams, but something to consider.

Once you get the caster/toe adjusted, give us your opinion on any handling/steering changes and we can start up a new round of opinions.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-09-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Good deal, always helps to know what parts are installed.

So, start with centering the steering wheel, if you haven't already. A wrench and 5 minutes of your time is all it should take. loosen two bolts, twist the turnbuckle until the wheel is straight, tighten the bolts again. Then go for a drive and see if the computerized nanny still kicks in on turns.

Then post the Caster and Toe specs when you get the alignment. One note is that most shops will set caster to factory spec, and many people like going a bit higher after a lift. Instead of factory 4.2 degrees, it is not uncommon to go up to 5 or sometimes even 6 (depending on height and preferences). Don't know how much play you'll have with the cams, but something to consider.

Once you get the caster/toe adjusted, give us your opinion on any handling/steering changes and we can start up a new round of opinions.
Thanks, when I get the new brackets in I will replace the cams with that and see if it helps any. I just drove it again after programming with the procal and it' basically the same. Steering wheel is centered now, tire size is accurate so speed sensors should be good. The steering is still bad, but at least I'm getting used to it now so I won't die due to it. There is definitely a lot of input needed to get the steering to react to steering input either way, but right more than left so I'm left guessing still that the steering stabilizer is my biggest issue. I'll look at what's entailed in removing it all together to see if it helps steering input or not. It looks pretty cool so if it doesn't change anything then at least I'll know how to reinstall it quickly ha! My other plan is to possibly order a new drag link though im not sure that will help my steering issues. Sad part is it rides nice if you're on an extremely smooth road haha!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

You might double check the torque on the pitman arm bolt. (I don't know the answer to how it would drive if that bolt was loose, just a thought since they did swap out that part.)
Old 02-10-2018, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

It's hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the Track Bar may be interfering with something. Possibly the SS? Hard to tell from the angle of the pics, but I noticed some scrapes on that TB, which means there may be some other part that has scrapes on it as well that it rubs against during different steering and suspension flex situations.

Quick Reply: Drastic steering issue