Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drastic steering issue

Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the pics you asked for nthinuf.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry these are after the upgraded components. I don't have a great pic of the setup before I changed it all, but do have a great video if I can figure out how to upload it. It shows how horrible the drop pitman arm idea is.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Originally Posted by 16blackUS
Alright guys, thanks for all your help and advice. Update as of this morning I actually drove the Jeep to work for the first time! AEV drop brackets are installed, changed track bar to the Rough Country adjustable, went back to stock pitman arm with Yeti no drill drag link flip. I still have to install the Yeti HD tie rod assembly tomorrow. It drives so much better now. Nothing, and I mean nothing, was torqued to spec in the steering system. Some were way over and many bolts were way under torqued. The pitman arm fell off immediately once I hit the puller with the impact and I was expecting a fight. Luckily no holes were wallowed out from all the movement, but a couple bushings were showing damage. It was worth the money to upgrade all of the components and next onto gears and led headlights. Thanks again for all the advice and I learned more about my Jeep than I could have imagined the day I bought it.
Did you remove the cam bolts as well when adding the drop brackets?

There are applications where "tight enough" might be good enough, but steering components is NOT one of them. Good grief, sounds like previous installer wasn't all that concerned about that.

Best way to learn and understand this stuff is to get under there and do the work yourself........and should you ever have a future issue, now you'll be that much more informed on where to look and how to tackle it.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Did you remove the cam bolts as well when adding the drop brackets?

There are applications where "tight enough" might be good enough, but steering components is NOT one of them. Good grief, sounds like previous installer wasn't all that concerned about that.

Best way to learn and understand this stuff is to get under there and do the work yourself........and should you ever have a future issue, now you'll be that much more informed on where to look and how to tackle it.
I removed the cam bolts tonight and installed the tie rod assembly. Will get alignment done on Wed morning and hopefully it will be even better. I just retorque the track bar and drag link again and will do so again in another couple hundred miles. I'm also going to check the torque on everything in the rear this weekend as I'm sure nothing back there is correct either.

Quick Reply: Drastic steering issue