Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drive shafts/UV Joints

Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink drive shafts/UV Joints

Not sure why I haven't been on here before, but looking for a little insight..

2 years back, decided to go with a 3" Teraflex 9550 8 arm (low) with Mickey Thompson Baja/35. Living in Chicago, doesn't see the trail much, but I do get out there once in a while. (not worked very hard) 2 weeks back, in 4 wheel drive, I heard the UV Joint rip the boot. Back to 2 wheel. replace, and move on. 2 days ago, same shit. After a little research, looks as though the angle/pitch of drive shaft to UV Joint is a bit extreme, even though most folks suggest making provisions 4" and up. Either way, I'm figuring this is the issue. Instead of spacers, or the UV Joint that Teraflex offers, its time to upgrade the drive shaft. If doing 1, must you do both at the same time? Recommendations? Ah, didn't realize these 9550 were, lets say, not as heavy duty. Thoughts on Falcon? Fox?

Cheers.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Doing one at a time is fine. Adams, Tom Woods, JE Reel, Coast, etc, etc etc. Lots of other choices as well, but I think Adams and Tom Woods might be the most used/talked about here? And even if you choose someone else, there is some great info on Tom Woods website, in both the tech info and JK areas.

Take note of the price, the warranty, which type of joint they use, and whether they use adapter plates or a yoke/flange swap. There are pro's/con's, it's good to review the options before blindly ordering.

And a lot of people like that TF high angle rzeppa, if you choose to stay with the stock shaft.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-12-2018 at 07:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Jedi - thanks for the insight here. If folks are keen on the TF High angle rzeppa, that would be a good solution to the issue for the time beling until I completely reconfigure drive shafts. As for those TF 9559 shocks, 2 years, and they are shot, with little off road abuse. Thoughts on the Falcons by TF? Or move up to Fox?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got the TF high angle on both ends of my rear DS and you'd never know any differently. Yes, it operates at a steeper angle without issue but there is zero maintenance or additional work to go with it. You just use it and it's done. Granted I'm only at 2.5" and on a 2dr, but I do try to wheel once a month.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Karls10jk - also good insight. Its the path of least resistance and if I can keep rocking the stock with the high angles, then so be it. That $ can be spent elsewhere for sure!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

From an angle perspective the TF joint works, but you're still rocking a factory DS. It doesn't sound like you wheel enough or hard enough to damage the rear DS, but they definitely will twist under the right conditions. I'm still on factory rear shaft (3.5" lift) and it's seen some abuse...but just keeps going. I'd just leave the rear alone until you have an issue and are forced to address it. I personally think up front you're better off just replacing with aftermarket, both for the joints and slimmer diameter shaft to help with clearance.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
From an angle perspective the TF joint works, but you're still rocking a factory DS. It doesn't sound like you wheel enough or hard enough to damage the rear DS, but they definitely will twist under the right conditions. I'm still on factory rear shaft (3.5" lift) and it's seen some abuse...but just keeps going. I'd just leave the rear alone until you have an issue and are forced to address it. I personally think up front you're better off just replacing with aftermarket, both for the joints and slimmer diameter shaft to help with clearance.
Somewhat agree. That seems to be more applicable to 4 doors. My rear driveshaft gave out first, and was pretty dinged up when I removed it. Ended up going with an Adams 1310.

Up front? I've had very little issues with my stock DS. The boot tore, but the CV is somehow still fine. I'm only at 35k miles now though, but my rear DS gave out 10k miles ago? I'll probably do the Teraflex Rzeppa up front when that fails, or I'll just pick up another stock one off C-list for $50. It's not worth dealing with driveline vibes up front for me to go with an aftermarket shaft. I enjoy cruising with 4.5 degrees of caster. Plus if the front ever fails...I'll just pull it and drive home in RWD anyways
Old 03-20-2018, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Up front? I've had very little issues with my stock DS. The boot tore, but the CV is somehow still fine. I'm only at 35k miles now though, but my rear DS gave out 10k miles ago? I'll probably do the Teraflex Rzeppa up front when that fails, or I'll just pick up another stock one off C-list for $50. It's not worth dealing with driveline vibes up front for me to go with an aftermarket shaft. I enjoy cruising with 4.5 degrees of caster
That is really surprising. I've seen that front go out in as little as 25k miles on a 2.5" budget boost that never left the pavement, another one at about 10k miles on 3.5" lift that wheeled hard, mine got 25k miles on 3.5" lift wheeling pretty hard, and several others scattered about. Very, very random. I've never really seen the rear fail at the joint yet, but I have seen em twist at the splines.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe I've just gotten lucky lol. I'm running 12" travel shocks (well technically like 11.9") and do run exhaust spacers. I've been expecting the front cv to go out anytime now, and check for grease/listen for clicking after every wheeling trip. So far so good.

The rear started clicking and got progressively worse, even with proper pinion angle

Quick Reply: drive shafts/UV Joints