Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drone intensity in 3.6 JKU w/o resonator

Old 02-08-2019, 12:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drone intensity in 3.6 W/O resonator

A search of the threads did not yield anyone that had deleted their resonator describe how bad or at what speed(RPM) they experienced a drone sound as a result of removing their resonator. Every account I read where they deleted their resonator they had also changed their muffler. A resonator is different from a muffler in that a muffler basically reduces the sound at all frequencies whereas a resonator acts more like a notch filter and targets specific areas of the sound spectrum.thus reducing, or eliminating, a drone that would be heard at a specific speed or RPM.

I have relocated my canister filter in favor of installing an auxiliary fuel tank. If I remove the resonator and relocate the exhaust pipe slightly closer to the frame I could increase my tank size by around 3.75 gallons or so..

My question is, does anyone know the specifics of what I could expect if I were to remove the resonator? I've thought about replacing the stock resonator with a slimmer (perhaps a glass pack) resonator but a "resonator is a resonator", so to speak, and does not describe what the sound filtering characteristics would be for a particular resonator... So do I simply just delete or should I replace with a slimmer profile resonator, and if I were to install a different resonator which one or how to choose?

There is a lot of experience on this forum. I'm hoping someone can offer feedback on this subject.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Last edited by KG6SLC; 02-13-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-09-2019, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Magnaflow chimed in a while back and they had various solutions and descriptions of what/ where the resonator killed. Wish I could find the post but maybe they'll chime in again.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

You are going to have considerable drone if you remove the resonator. I am running the Magnaflow Offroad Pro exhaust, which is very nice, but it is loud and drones at highway speeds. It basically is just a muffler that dumps before the axle with no resonator. From the outside it sounds great but it is somewhat loud inside the cab. It is annoying to drive at highway speeds for prolonged times, so just be aware of that before going without one. I just crank up the stereo to drown it out lol.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was thinking of removing my resonator. I have a Magnaflow axle back. Just want a little more grunt out of it. OP let us know what you decide to do and maybe a sound clip.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
You are going to have considerable drone if you remove the resonator. I am running the Magnaflow Offroad Pro exhaust, which is very nice, but it is loud and drones at highway speeds. It basically is just a muffler that dumps before the axle with no resonator. From the outside it sounds great but it is somewhat loud inside the cab. It is annoying to drive at highway speeds for prolonged times, so just be aware of that before going without one. I just crank up the stereo to drown it out lol.
I agree with this. Keep a resonator no matter what.

For a short while, I ran just the resonator with no muffler. It was incredibly obnoxious and embarrassing...until I got up to higher gears/highway speed. Then the resonator cut 90% of the drone out.

Ended up missing the muffler, so I replaced the bulky stock one with a small Magnaflow and tucked it up as high as I could. Very quiet now, but not as quiet as stock. Has a low grumble at lower speeds/start up now.

If the stock resonator is too big for your needs, find a smaller one and squeeze it inline somewhere.

Originally Posted by automan21
Was thinking of removing my resonator. I have a Magnaflow axle back. Just want a little more grunt out of it. OP let us know what you decide to do and maybe a sound clip.
You'd be better served replacing the Magnaflow axle back (which model?) with a smaller or more aggressive muffler. Resonator is there to deal with drone. Muffler is there to reduce overall noise. Removing the resonator will give you more grunt, but not what you're looking for.

Last edited by BoraBora; 02-18-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:38 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Talking

I run 2 of our mufflers "inline".
Closest to the engine our Ultra Flo Welded stainless steel
Near the EVAP, our Race Bullet.
Drone is minimal but I do hear it when going through mountain passes.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KG6SLC

......... So do I simply just delete or should I replace with a slimmer profile resonator, and if I were to install a different resonator which one or how to choose?

KG6SLC aka Eugene
I was hoping that I could remove the resonator without significant consequences. Based on the replies here that would not appear to be the case. It sounds like there would be (considerable?) drone if I were to remove it. Since I do a lot of highway driving in addition to off roading I will still add an auxiliary fuel tank but will opt for smaller capacity(approx 13 gallons) and most likely keep the resonator.

Thanks to all for your input.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Quick Reply: Drone intensity in 3.6 JKU w/o resonator