Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Newbie Question but need help?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Newbie Question but need help?

I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'm new to the jeep world... First question i have an 08 wrangler x 6 sp manual what gears do i currently have? Second question i am runnin 33x12.50 R17 do i need to switch them... Third is it very expensive to buy and have installed gear what do they run... Fourth question and probably the dumbest what are the benefits of changing gears the only reason i new people even changed them was because people talk about gears on here all the time but i don't understand what diff that they make... Some help please...
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can prob find out what gears you have online but if its just a sport model I would say 3.21's that's what I have in my 11 JKU. As far as needing them with 33"s I would say no if you just slapping on bigger tires and no lift. Of course if you lift it then you might what bigger tires and then might consider gears. Gears are going to help you get that aggressive take off and keep your jeep rolling instead of barley moving down the road. Some say the increase gas mileage other say you loose some mpg, I don't have bigger gears so I can't comment on that. Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure ppl with a lot more knowledge will chime in soon..
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You probably have 3.21 gears. If you're happy with how the jeep drives don't worry about it. It will cost a minimum of $1,000 to regear. When you put on larger tires it changes the final drive ratio of the vehicle. This plus the added weight makes the vehicle slower. Going to a higher numerical gear ratio will improve your acceleration at the cost of higher rpms at highway speeds.

Edit: if you have the tow package you may have 3.73 gears.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a tow hitch but I bought the jeep used i don't know if it is factory or aftermarket
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

If you go here

https://www.moparownercenter.com/oc/...nersLogin.aspx

and create an account, the account creation process asks for your VIN. After you are logged in there is a factory build sheet available to you under Learn & Use> Equipment. Gear ratio is listed as Rear Axle Ratio on the Standard Equipment tab but if you find an Axle Ration under Optional Equipment then that is the true ratio as it was an upgrade.

They will send you oil change coupons every month or so via email.

**edit ratio not ration
Old 01-23-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Since it's a used vehicle, the only sure way to know is go out to the Jeep and do the following.

Jack up a front tire. Spin the tire by hand exactly 2 revolutions while counting the drive shaft turns.

If the drive shaft turns about 3¼ turns, you have 3.21 gears.

If the drive shaft turns about 3
¾ turns, you have 3.73 gears.

Quick Reply: Dumb Newbie Question but need help?