Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duplicolor Bed Armor. Aersol vs gallon

Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duplicolor Bed Armor. Aersol vs gallon

I bought the MBRP lightbar and in an attempt to protect it from the elements I decided to give it a coat of Duplicolors Bed Armor. I gave the part three coats of the roll on stuff but I hated the results so much that I stripped the part down to bare metal. The coating was just to coarse and inconsistent in texture for my liking. So this leads me to ask the following questions;

1. Does the aerosol bed armor have a smoother more consistent texture when applied?
&
2. How UV resistent is this stuff? I'd hate to put in all this work to only have the finish last several months before looking old and dull

Thanks guys and gals for the help

**edit**
This was my test piece to make sure the CC would adhere well to the bedliner
Applied new coat of bedliner to the fuel door because it was faded pretty bad. Then hit it with 3 coats of Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss Lacquer
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	4679
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	205080Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3187.jpg
Views:	11806
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	205081

Last edited by MFX; 08-31-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree about the bed armor- that's what I have in my tub now. I do however like the rattle can duplicolor bed liner. It's cheap and so far is holding up pretty well on my front grill. It hasn't faded much but it hasn't been very sunny here either. A definite smoother and more consistant texture than the bed armor. If and when I need to touch up it wont cost me an arm and a leg so I can be a little more relaxed about it.
last time I checked- upol isn't very cheap? But I'm sure the results are great and that's UV resistant also?'

Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

The bed armor spray can is a much nicer finish then the roll on, probably not as much protection, but much smoother and closer to the after market textured bumpers. I think the roll on wouldent be as bad if you filtered out all the chunks through a screen. I bought the roll on for the inside tub of the jeep and luckely i did a smaller project first to see the texture. No since i already have it i will still use it but im gonna remove the chunks and then spray a couple light coats of the spray on over top of it. Good luck
Old 08-22-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the bed armor spray can. Just make sure you let it cure at least two days before installing and 7 days before heavy use. The difference in that week to the products resistance to impacts and scratches is night and day. My tub is the spray armor and my front grill and cowl are the liner. Both look good after a year. If you want better UV protection get an enamel clear coat to go over top. Just my .02cents!
Old 08-23-2011, 08:27 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

My progress on the MBRP lightbar

Stripped and sanded to remove the awful roll-on bed armor

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0945.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	205083

Followed by 3 light coats of dupli color etching primer. Then 5-6 light coats of aerosol bed armor (much better flow and a nice even pattern) Pic looks a little dull though but it really turned out nice
Attachment 0Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	205084

Last edited by MFX; 08-31-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the roll on duplicolor sucking. I hated the inconsistency on my nerf bars. I used it without shaking or mixing to try and salvage my $35. Turned out pretty well...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1129641309.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	205089   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-327270058.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	205090  
Old 08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has a impressive texture, just remember to spray in quick motion for maximum texture.

Last edited by QuickSack; 08-31-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

According to plastikote description it states "very uv resistant"

Hum, gotta try this out. Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Use both-duplicolor. I did my floors, rear wells and logos with the leftover. What you want to do is tape everything off. Use the aerosol to get the edges and corners where the brush would not reach or cover good. Then roll on a few coats and touch up with aerosol after. If you go to duplicolor.com, watch their how to video and you will see. This is how I got the idea and man does it look professional and works fantastic! Both!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
Use both-duplicolor. I did my floors, rear wells and logos with the leftover. What you want to do is tape everything off. Use the aerosol to get the edges and corners where the brush would not reach or cover good. Then roll on a few coats and touch up with aerosol after. If you go to duplicolor.com, watch their how to video and you will see. This is how I got the idea and man does it look professional and works fantastic! Both!
No doubt that will give a great finish but after my first experience with the roll on stuff, I'll NEVER use it again. I was so pissed that it seriously ruined my whole weekend, thats how much I hated it

Quick Reply: Duplicolor Bed Armor. Aersol vs gallon