Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eaton Trutrac with BLD opinions wanted

Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaton Trutrac with BLD opinions wanted

'18 JK Willy here and I'm going to pull the trigger on 5.13s, Trutrac front and rear, Metalcloak Gamechanger 3.5" 37x13.5s C gussets and front driveline in next week or so.

My question is, will I regret not going E lockers front and rear? I live in the Rockies and will have tires in the air. I'm hoping the BLD and Trutracs compliment each other and keep the axles more reliable. Yes, lockers are better traction but also break parts.

Thoughts?

Anyone have front and rear Trutracs?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contrary to what some people spout off, lockers do not break axles. The driver's right foot does. I've seen more open diffs grenade, or throw u-joint caps from spinning and taking out the yoke, than I have locked diffs breaking axles. Those who have lockers and know how to drive can be easier on their stuff. So my answer is yes, yes you will regret not going with a selectable locker. You already said it yourself, BLD and a trutrac is not comparable to a locker. I'm not even sure BLD is activated in 4L anyway, is it?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When Truetrac questions come up, I always think back to this reply by the gentleman from Dynatrac.

I used to have the Electrac (made by the Co. that made Detroit Lockers before Eaton bought them) in my 79 CJ. The Electrac was an electric selectable that was TT based and when to full lock when engaged. My CJ was very well set up with all the good stuff and it worked very well for what it was.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and we do a lot of wet, slick trail running. Our Jeep club does a yearly run on a trail that closes for the winter. We go in on the last possible weekend to get the worst possible conditions. It was on one of these runs that the TT really showed me how well they work.

One of the criteria for running this trail with our club is that lockers are required. No locker in both diffs and you don't go. This year the snow wasn't really deep and it was raining much of the day. It was a day of slick snow and snotty roots. After we were on the trail about 3 hours I realized I hadn't engaged the locker yet. I had clubmates ahead and behind with ARBs and I could hear them disengaging their lockers all day. As the day went on I had a locker epiphany- most of the time when you engage a selectable locker, it's not because you need a locker, it's because you need something more than open.

I ran the entire day without ever engaging the locker- not once. I never felt I pushed it too far and beat the rig just to make a point. The TT base of the Electrac worked so well I never needed the locker on that trip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that lockers don't have major value. I'm just saying that for many people, even in some very tough conditions, a Truetrac will be all they really need.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...ffroad-188018/

I recall a few followup threads to that one where people were reporting on BLD/Truetrac performance, but did not save any links. The search feature is kinda wonky, but you might be able to find them. (basically very good reviews of the performance from what I recall)

Quick Reply: Eaton Trutrac with BLD opinions wanted