JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Ecoboost JK. Thoughts? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/ecoboost-jk-thoughts-340464/)

goneboating06 02-20-2017 07:55 AM

Ecoboost JK. Thoughts?

I know a group of Engineers that are interested in developing a Kit to swap Ford's Ecoboost engine/trans in to a JK Wrangler.

We believe the Ecoboost engine to be a strong candidate for JK engine swaps. It reaches 90% of its peak torque at just 1700 RPM, and holds steady up to 5000 RPM. That translates to much of the engines usable torque available lower in the RPM range that we use while Jeeping. Also with twin turbos, the Ecoboost compensates for higher elevations, and the added efficiency will benefit those who Daily Drive their JK's.

There are hundreds of thousands of Ecoboost F150s that have been, and are currently being produced which means they are readily available now, and in the future.

They are still in the researching phases, but we are curious what the thoughts of the JK community are.

ronjenx 02-20-2017 08:02 AM

How about cold shocking of the turbos during a water crossing?

Ajkaz 02-20-2017 08:15 AM

Being cost competitive vs a LS swap would be very important to the kits success. Also it would need to be made carb compliant.

agentjohnson 02-20-2017 08:41 AM

I feel its going to be very difficult to be cost competitive with an LS swap. The ecoboost motor (3.5) has a reputation for throwing rods to the tune of an 11k replacement, just in the vehicle it was designed to go into. I love the ecoboost platform, I had my '13 tuned to about 500 whp, and similar torque figures just from an engine map tune. other bolt on upgrades are also inexpensive, and can provide huge gains.

Having driven 50,00 miles on the ecoboost I'll offer up my thoughts on what need to change for it to be dependable, and desirable swap for the jk.

- The engine block needs to be stronger. The motor comes with forged internals, and they punch through the block like its going through a paper bag.
- CAC needs to have a dedicated week valve, and a moisture sensor needs to be included before the intake to shut the motor down in the event that the intake swallows a hit of the CAC gunk ( most common cause of failure in the ecoboost motor).

- you're going to have to find a way to get a crate motor, with turbos, and trans for 5-7k, right now the crate motors still appear to be around $9500 for motor only.

- turbos need to move to topside of engine bay. otherwise they will be destroyed at a creek crossing.

As much as I'd love to have my jeep kick me in the seat with this power plant, I just don't see it being a feasible option for anyone to pursue to bring to market. I don't see this swap costing a diyer any less than 25k. in addition to the huge cost, there will be alot of time invested

icrashbikes 02-20-2017 11:53 AM

I have a '15 F150 with the 3.5 and I like the engine a lot. I've thought about plopping one in the jeep because, hey, it's free to think. I think where the 3.5 shines though is higher in the rpm range than I'd really need in the Jeep. Sure it's got a fantastic bottom end, but I just don't see enjoying it in the jeep like I to in the tire-melter 150. I'm also content to do 65 on the highway in the jeep so maybe that's just me.

--'(OlllllllO)'-- 02-20-2017 12:30 PM

I don't see the point. For the cost of doing such a swap why wouldnt someone just put an LS in the jeep instead.

My assumption is the ecoboost swap wouldn't be any more powerful than the factory Ford setup making it no more desirable than just boosting a jeeps 3.6l engine it currently has. Not for the price difference at least. If I'm gonna run a V6 I'd much rather just boost the 3.6l engine that I already have.

I know the 3.5 has forged internals vs the pentastar 3.6 does not. But for the price, I would much rather prefer a built to last V8 LS.

jtphoto JK 02-20-2017 12:38 PM

Or for less then half the price just add the Supercharger to the 3.8 or 3.6..

caryt 02-20-2017 01:15 PM

Yep spend less and ruin your JK...just get a LS.

Ajkaz 03-02-2017 06:24 PM

This fizzled quickly.

mdash 03-03-2017 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ajkaz (Post 4280823)
This fizzled quickly.

That's cause it got hit hard with the haterade! :rotflmao2:

I for one would much rather run an Ecoboost in my Jeep then a Hemi turd. Just my 2 pennies.